Silk Trees

peri5, Jan 19, 12:18am
They are very prone to wind damage so we've kept our pink silk tree well pruned. Dead wood can be a mess - and they drop flowers and leaves as well. Best in a lawn, not over drive/paths!

maclad, Jan 19, 4:17am
Yes they do create a mess but only for a few weeks as the dead flowers drop. They go everywhere. But so do many other plants. Again in Autumn they may cause problems with leaf drop but they are so small it should not be an issue. If you planted evergreens they shed leaf all year round. You need to prioritize and decide, a few weeks of inconvienence or a whole year of cleaning up leaf drop. I myself prefer to use decidious plants as I feel they are less work.

mrfxit, Jan 20, 5:05am
Don't know what the heck you have there but we have 1 left on our section & another next door.
PITA for half the year.
Flowers are sticky sods & those leaves get in to everything around.
Our tree is shedding flowers already & very thankful it's on the back section.
Topped off the next door tree in November
Between the 3 tree's, it used to make a hell of a mess of the cars / driveway & inside of sheds etc for most of the year.

mrfxit, Jan 20, 5:07am
Like a lot of Annual tree's, they look great in bloom but are a right PITA when shedding on driveways/cars & house gutters.

wheelz, Jan 20, 11:03am
Mine are in lawn, not near the house or concrete. I never notice mess from it. Certainly not like the neighbours flippen messy camelias planted on the boundary, dropping leaves and flowers on my path and garden. Or like the huge mess, Prunus makes in autumn. Or the oak planted next door.

kcc55a, Jan 21, 1:18am
Its funny how the prettiest flowering shrubs and trees become the most messy. Magnolias spring to mind.

autumnwinds, Jan 22, 2:38am
The biggest problem with silk trees - beautiful as they are - is that many (like myself) are allergic to the leaves or flowers, coming out in a nasty rash on the skin with any contact. So be careful where you plant them, if you have kids with allergies.

But I really admire them, from afar - stunning trees.

rusty-bones, Jan 17, 4:43am
There are some beautiful displays around at the moment. I just love them especially the salmon coloured ones. Are they messy?

sanders4, Jan 17, 5:24am
Very messy, enjoy in someone elses space!

wheelz, Jan 17, 5:36am
Messy?! Hardly, I've got three, a red and two pinks. Leaves and flowers are tiny, so no big sludgy mess underneath or wind blown leaves, at all.
Fast growing shade trees and very prunable.

deanna14, Jan 17, 6:03am
I have two new ones in my chicken runs, and one just flowered, so pretty a pale pink, I can't wait till they get bigger.

Not that its an issue in the runs. But are they messy trees? And someone told me to put some support in for them as they get top heavy, should I ? They do bend about in the wind.

eljayv, Sep 16, 8:32pm
I have noticed they are really lovely this year as are pepper trees