House rewire.

christin, Jul 24, 12:36am
Im going to get some quotes to get my house rewired. Is there anything im missing i need to ask them or include in the details for the quote.

I need a new switchboard, want to replace the old outlets with new and rewire. I want to add a few new points etc.

I want to change some lights, do i need to tell them what sort for the quote, or they just need to know a ceiling light is being changed and I supply the light etc?

Also want to get my alarm control panel moved, and possibly phone jackpoint. CAn and do they do those as well?

Anything else? I want to have all the information to give them so they can do an easy quote. I have a floor plan so can makr on that where the existing outlets are and where I want new ones if thats handy?

I want to look like I know what im doing too so they dont see me a female and try and rip me off (i know most dont, but yeah. just in case!)

thanks

ryanm2, Jul 24, 4:36am
Not all sparkies will want to move the alarm panel - they may sub that part out. Phone jacks are generally very easy. The sparkies with regards to lights will just want to know surface or downlight - and who is supplying. If surface supply yourself - if led downlights, get the sparky to supply them.
Are you upgrading the mains and earthing system too?

With regards to rewire just make sure furniture is away from walls, us sparkies get tired of moving beds and tallboys fall of crap to get to power points etc.

christin, Jul 24, 5:58am
Thanks. All power switches bar the fridge and one in my room is easy access, but will move that stuff out too.

What do you mean by mains and earthing system? Mains being the power box outside or the switchboard inside or something else?

(Obviously I do need things to ask lol :-) )

House is an older house, I'm not sure what work, if any has been done. It does have an extension which includes lounge and kitchen in 1980ish so assume that is newer than the rest, old ceramic fuse switchboard so as I said that will be done. Some new lights put in 10 years ago and heat pump three or so so assume they are okay too.

Hopefully get a decent one who can tell me what's what etc.

Oh and lights will be surface.

christin, Jul 24, 5:59am
So not sure if that answers re mains and earthing?. Curious to know what that means too thanks

christin, Jul 24, 10:06pm
bumping to see if i need to know re mains and earthing :-) thanks.

tsjcf, Jul 24, 11:27pm
Don't worry about it the Electrician will let you know if they need upgrading.

christin, Jul 25, 12:29am
thanks. just curious also what it meant :-)

nice to know what the electrican is talking about lol.

tsjcf, Jul 25, 12:35am
Mains will be refering to the cable supplying the switch boards. Earthing refers to the earth peg/ wiring to earth peg and the neutral/earth bars on the board etc

christin, Jul 25, 2:48am
thanks. not sure if that needs to be changed, but at least when he talks to me about it will have an idea of what he means :-)

sifty, Jul 25, 2:53am
A good sparky will talk you thru the options. A plan drawing you have put together will cover most of it for them, they may point out easier options for plug locations etc.

mrfxit, Jul 25, 5:02am
In regards to the current system in the house.
Have a good LONG LOOK & walk around at every switch & power socket.
Are they in good places for you
How easy are they to use, (height & location)
Are there enough of each.
Light switches in a long hallway can be double or triple switched pretty easy, (Eg: 1 switch each end of hallway & 1 by the front door)

Convert ALL power switches to doubles regardless of where they are currently & going to be later.

If the mains cable from the pole is ok but nearing the end of it's lifespan, do it anyway, (don't forget the cable clamps (insulators) on the outside of the house may need doing as well)

If a power socket is behind a door. move it, (hate having to close a door just to get to a power socket)

2 double power sockets in a wash house can be real handy

Consider if the meter box really is in a good place

Any sheds on the property that could do with power/ lights?

Are the outside lights good enough & in the right places + security lights?

Once you have that info, you can back down a bit if the bill is getting a bit much.

sboydnz, Jul 25, 5:21am
What part of Auckland do you live in Christine?

_atomant_, Jul 25, 5:52am
Get 2 or 3 quotes and don't just go for the cheapest, look at what they are saying and get referrals if you can. Nearly all companies do free quotes.

christin, Jul 25, 6:54am
Avondale

christin, Jul 25, 6:55am
Definitely going to get a few quotes and see what's what :-)

christin, Jul 25, 7:00am
Thank you.

I have ideas of what I want, but don't want to do too much that I can't afford it lol. Just me here so just me paying for it :-(

Definatly thought about the double plug thing. So going to do that.

And the plan is underway, going to highlight new in one colour, existing in another so I don't miss anything when getting the quote and can compare like for like. And none behind doors :-)

No idea what even a ball park figure is, so def a few quotes to see a good idea.

Once it's done I can carry on with other work on the house, so this is the first thing!

Thanks!

johotech, Jul 25, 7:29am
Could be anywhere around $5-8k or even higher, depending on the size of the house and the number of points, and if the mains need replacing. It will be interesting to see what the quotes come up at.

FYI, there is an option to just replace old cables, power points and light fittings, without replacing the switchboard. But, IMO, you are better off to do the switchboard at the same time to bring everything into the 21st century. Particularly if the mains cables need replacing.

christin, Jul 25, 7:45am
The switchboard is pretty old. Old ceramic fuses and pretty crappy in my non expert opinion :-)

House is around 120sqm, about 16 current points, and I'd like to put in approx 10 more spread amongst the rooms. Plus change lights and current switches etc so they all match.

Not sure if that's a big or small job or just average. Be happy if it came in $5-8k.

Remembering some may not have to be redone.

And if possible extra for phone jack point and alarm panel (both currently in bedroom that's not mine so a pain if I have someone staying in it).

When all of this is done, I can do things like paint walls, redo insulation in the ceiling etc. (rather than disturbing old stuff now thought maybe easier once I have good wiring)

johotech, Jul 25, 8:44am
Yep, the electrician will be happy if you do the insulation after the wiring!

christin, Jul 25, 8:46am
It does have insulation up there, but think it Prob needs replacing. And I think i even heard not to disturb old wires, which is what would happen if I did insulation first?

Do they not like new stuff as they have to put back properly?

christin, Jul 25, 8:59am
And do I get a discount for being considerate lol :-)

johotech, Jul 25, 9:14am
It's easier to find the walls & the wires, and somewhere to put your feet (apart from through the ceiling), when there isn't great piles of insulation in the way!

Let them know the insulation situation, they may be kind about the pricing.

christin, Jul 25, 9:19am
Thanks heaps.was only joking about discount but will mention. If I do in summer they can leave however they want as it will be coming out.

Will get up there tomorrow and have a look at whats up there. I think when I got my new roof last year they mentioned it Prob needed replacing

tsjcf, Nov 13, 5:40pm
For charging phones and tablets a few of these pp with USB ports round the place can be handy.
http://www.hpm.co.nz/WhatsNew.aspx?pid=613