Help with pants for new house please.

deejayrobbied, Feb 18, 1:10am
We have just moved into our first home. Gardens are empty worth just bark on them. I brought a few plants but the ground is so dry and sandy that they haven't really thrived at all even with a water in the morning and a good soak in the afternoon. Out the back we have cactus and similar plants thriving but that's not what I want out the front. I would love some color. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on what to plant please.

rainrain1, Feb 18, 1:39am
pants? It's too dry right now, Wait till before Winter sets in, ask a garden centre for some hardy perennial ideas

annies3, Feb 18, 1:42am
lol I had a vision of a house in baggy pants,
Op it is so awful just now maybe wait a bit till the weather gets a wee bit more favourable.

merrilegs, Feb 18, 1:46am
Mmmmm, not sure that anyone could make "pants" that big. lol On a more serious note, you say the soil is dry and sandy. Firstly perhaps wait until the autumn for planting and then mulch during the summer months. Some Australian and African natives are good for that light soil. Grevillias, banksia, kangaroo paw and proteas. These are shrubs and trees but have flowers most of the year and make a good show. I'm sure others will have some good suggestions as well.

lythande1, Feb 18, 2:04am
get rid of the bark.
Water well. long, long soaks, no shallow watering each day, once or twice a week for ages.
Mulch. Make home made compost - the shop bought stuff is just bark and poo. You want plenty of leafy matter.
Mulch with leaves too - it does magic things to the soil structure over time.

wine-o-clock, Feb 18, 2:11am
not sure about chch, but there is a drought and water restrictions in place

deejayrobbied, Feb 18, 3:07am
Thanks for the advice. Just realised my title came out wrong. Thankfully you all knew what I meant. We brought a house just done up after the EQs so gardens are looking tidy but empty. We have so many big trees and lots of leaves so I will make sure I put them to good use over the coming months.

thea4, Feb 18, 4:03am
Thank you for a giggle for now just get some pots with saucers and plant whatever the garden centres offer. It is too dry to do anything worthwhile in a garden just keep it weedfree

mkbooks, Feb 19, 11:02pm
Use this dry time to plan out your garden.
Yes, do get rid of the bark! -the birds are always into it-we had a 60 meter
drive garden all barked + it was amess
Get a photocopy of the plans +
sketch in the shapes of the garden. Start an exercise books of ides?
Get garden design books from the library; + choose your plants + the look that you want; there is quite a good NZ 1 called The Dry Garden. Look at the plant's needs, useless to put things that need a damp shady spot in yet.
Dig trenches Have a look around you neighborhood + see what flourishes (not cacti, succulents or agaves). Go to school/ kindy /church galas-usually have plant stalls-local markets. Check out the local garden centers too + TMe plants. There are lots of good plant sellers in CHch

lemming2, Feb 20, 6:38am
But I want to see the house in its new pants! Puleez!

mkbooks, Jun 10, 11:48am
Author of Dry Garden Jane Taylor