Honeysuckle - how to destroy

footplate1, Jan 30, 11:00pm
Has anyone found a spray or dab-on-leave solution for this pest? Local garden shops talk about finding the root and applying a solution. Advice conflicts. Our "garden" is a mess of honeysuckle vines. Whole clumps have been removed but the pest is their in huge numbers. Applying a solution to where shoots come from the ground is impossible.

And so I desperately seek something to apply to the vines and to the leaves.

Thanks

thea4, Jan 31, 12:15am
I wonder if this would work, I had a very large moth plant which came from a neighbors, I got pill bottles and filled them with weed killer and pushed the growing tips into the liquid and then promptly forgot about it untilt he neighbour commented that the moth plant had died,it didn't regrow.

footplate1, Jan 31, 4:57am
If I correctly identify the plant you refer to, I find that Roundup works. But I do wonder what your weed killer was? We have a MASS of honeysuckle leads. A MASS!

mkbooks, Jan 31, 6:39am
We have a lot coming over + thru our back fence, I just keep pulling them off or cutting the big ones. Going to try the weed killer trick though

footplate1, Jan 31, 6:53am
Garden places say you have to find where the thing comes out of the ground. An impossible task. Triffids would easier to deal to!

comadi, Jan 31, 8:14am
Close :)
I just dealt to some honey suckle inter twined in our good boundary hedge.
I used small empty herb bottles and filled them with a strong round up equivalent spray ( about one & a half strength)
Cut several (or as many as possible) of the tendril type lower vine stems on an angle with enough length to poke the trunk end into the poison bottles.
The honey suckle stems are perfect for this as they are very supple and bendy.
I fixed the bottles in place with some zippy ties.
The honey suckle sucked that stuff up so fast I was topping it up every day for a week.

Resulting in a perfect kill with no damage to any other plants.

footplate1, Jan 31, 7:05pm
Hey! Will definitely try this.

thea4, Feb 1, 12:49am
Cannot remember the name but bought it at New World,I never actualy spray anything which is why I tried the bottle method.I see no reason why Round up wouldn't work.

brightlights60, Feb 2, 10:59am
I did a similar thing.But using round up equivalent (Just Weeds brand from the warehouse contains exactly the same ingredients at exactly the mix prescribed on the bottle. We planted honeysuckle here 16 years ago along the fence as we had it at our last house and it was beautiful. However it did get rampant, so I used the above method. I just dipped tendrils, not roots as roundup and its offshoots work best off leafy growth, not roots of all the growths in the mix, then wrapped in gladwrap and left it. Wiped it out completely. Once it was dead we dug out the roots and its never come back. If you have a huge lot of it, cut back as much as you can to identify the individual plants, and then poison as many of the end leaves as you can. You can also paint on woody weed growth killer on the woody parts.

rainrain1, Feb 2, 8:07pm
What about Woody Weed Killer, painted straight from the bottle on to the cut ends, you would have to 'keep at it' though

Whoops you have already said that brightlights.

zoopa, Feb 3, 6:34am
Aphids trashed mine.

thefatfj, Jul 30, 11:51am
if u can find the ends of a runna, there called feeders,with undiluted weedkilla, ive found the stuff at the warehoue xcellent, $9 99 a litre,turn ova the very end leaves, n with good rubber gloves on either paint with a small brush or spray the undersides with the weed killer,its best to do this early morn,dont b put off by the moisture on the undersides of the leaves,these end leaves feed the root system,this info i obtained from noxishweeds person from wgtn,and it works! takes about a week to 10 days to see any effects , but it duz work,specially if u have runners coming thru from neighbouring propertys, this works on other creepers as well, just remember, rubber gloves r a must! ,just do the end 4 or 5 leaves underside on each runner early in the morning,out of reach ones i used a water pistol from $2 shop! n just squirted the end leaves i couldnt reach, n dont dilute it if u can gain good access,