Espaliering fruit tree/vege garden plants - advice

devine-spark, Feb 6, 5:59am
I have just put up a rather nice shade house and want to espalier a fruit tree on the north facing wall. It is an outdoor entertaining area as well as a pottager garden and I am trying to put in all fruit, vege, and herb plants. Apart from the espalier I will be keen to hear from people about recommendations for both shade and sun plantings for herbs and veges. I know that lettuce and herbs such as sorrel, and rhubarb, like a little shade but not sure about others. I have 4 big raised gardens and three lower sunny ones, and a garden that is about half and half sun/shade. I will post a pic tomorrow when I have gotten rid of the mess. It is a real makeover here.

bugin, Feb 6, 6:15am
I recommend a Mediterranean fig ,planted in a buried plastic tub .When espaliered they can be vigour controlled and very fruitful.

devine-spark, Feb 6, 6:17am
Will they ripen in Christchurch? I had a fig in a big pot and could never get it right.

les6, Feb 7, 4:35am
I`d go for a pear of some variety.Saw some in England and they were quite impressive,tidy,using a small space and laden with fruit.Got plans to do one myself.

catdog68, Feb 7, 6:09am
we have a pear tree espaliered, it's one that grows 3 different types of pears and looks impressive!

devine-spark, Feb 7, 1:26pm
That sounds great. Who does the pear trees with different types grafted? I am in Christchurch.

lythande1, Feb 7, 7:18pm
Quite a few things don't actually like full sun you know.
Is it total shade or part shade? If part, most things will cope except those veges like beans, capsicums etc.
I have rosemary in shade, it's 1.3m tall now and bushing out, growing like a weed.
I have pongas in shade too, they hate full sun.

devine-spark, Feb 7, 8:40pm
I have one area that is largely shaded by the house and gets only about 2 hours of sun a day. Most of the rest will get sun, either early or late depending upon where it is. Now with the shade house up there is some dappled area that will be sheltered but still quite hot. And some full sun. All the options really. I thought I might put the rhubarb in the shadier area.

themeat, Jul 18, 10:16am
My aunt has had success this year with Brown Turkey figs getting full sun in a wine barrel in Christchurch. yummy.