New to raising chickens -advice

Page 2 / 26
maryteatowel1, Jan 12, 6:51am
Heh heh heh We have a roo called Penny.named before he was sexed .and boy does he have an attitude.but hey so would I if I was a rooster called Penny. We also have Vera, Hilda, Wanda, Henrietta, Myrtle, Gertie and Urkel. Our latest 5 chicks haven't been named yet.my 17 year old named them so we couldn't eat them!

gateaux, Jan 12, 8:22am
We're getting some soon Going to name them Nigella, Julia and Gordon - because they'll provide good things for the table. Hopefully Gordon won't have the potty mouth though.

shopalot5, Jan 12, 9:49am
SWAP GORDON FOR DELIA MAYBE WOULDN'T BE A GORDON UNLESS IT HAD A FOUL MOUTH!

mamabiff, Jan 12, 9:47pm
A FOUL mouth! Bwaaahahahahahaha!

pandaeye, Jan 12, 10:24pm
suckmy doodledoo.! .

maryteatowel1, Jan 13, 6:02am
BAD BAD PANDA!

coolkiwibird, Jan 14, 12:04am
I have four chooks. I am getting one egg a day. Am I better to start again or keep the one layer and just get three to replace the others! They have been very unreliable.

tinart, Jan 14, 1:30am
is anyone having issues with flies in the chook house! i havent had this issue before.the house is cleaned regularily but at the moment it would have to be daily to keep away the flies. had anyone used flypaper or other methods to get rid of flies!

..pip.., Jan 14, 5:28am
I was considering getting some Ripcord, locking the chickens out and spraying their house.Am going to do some more research on it before I try it though because I don't wanna kill my girls.I do have some fly paper so I might try that first.

pandaeye, Jan 14, 9:58am
what sort of chooks! no matter what you get, at certain times of the year, egg production will be less.

maryteatowel1, Jan 14, 9:15pm
yep mine go in cycles and at the moment I've got a broody one that has been sitting on a block of ice every day to cool her down and try and stop it as she wont lay for ages (like 3 or 4 weeks) after she stops being broody because they lose condition. So far the ice hasn't worked :-(

pandaeye, Jan 14, 9:52pm
get a wire cat cage, put it on it side and hang it on the wall with plenty of light and air movement, 4-5 days with food and water will snap her out of it.

maryteatowel1, Jan 14, 10:34pm
tried that first.after 4 days the silly thing ran straight to a nesting box and wouldnt move.again. Had read on the net that the way to stop it was to lower their body temp.which is why they suggest a wire cage off the ground.someone said they had good results with a block of ice.well not here! I'm on day number 7 with her and I think she will have to go back in the cage if she doesn't come out by tonight.

pandaeye, Jan 15, 7:11am
they have a heat pad on either side of their keel which swell up with blood during clucky time. the trick is to lower the temp around those area.

jules., Jan 16, 8:56am
i have been on the pets and animals pages and asked on the chook page about this too. they suggested the cage thing too. my black orpington is sitting on imaginary eggs, shes been on 'them' for about a week now. i have locked her from the nesting boxes (the others sleep in the tree branches anyway, so does no effect them). so far she has been pretty good, has been running with the others most of the day, but does get in the 'nest' (a hole they have dug in the ground) sometimes thru the day and at night (she was sleeping in the tree too). so heres hoping she will right herself soon!

jules., Jan 18, 12:45am
bumping for help for k_stuart :)

gateaux, Jan 18, 3:43am
#70 It's Lichfield Poultry Farm in Putaruru We just got 4 from there and they're absolutely hilarious. Stood around like stunned mullets for about 15 mins then I spent ages watching them slowly come to life. Fantastic. Time will tell whether they're good layers or not. Hope so!

sandra25, Jan 18, 4:34am
vegies & scraps apart from potato, do the vegies & scraps need to be cooked!

jules., Jan 18, 5:21am
i just give the scraps as they are, weather it be raw or left over cooked ones. they love fresh silverbeet and puha, dandelion plants, lettuce etc.

jules., Jan 18, 5:23am
well my orpington is no longer clucky! seems locking her from the nest has worked, she even slept in the tree again with the others, so have opened the house again today and shes been fine. YAY!

tinart, Jan 18, 7:39am
Thanks Gateux! Yes please let me know if yours start laying.Am keen to get started as soon as!

julie28, Jan 19, 6:29am
With vege scraps do not include Avocado .

jules., Jan 19, 6:38am
why not avocado! .

jules., Jan 19, 6:41am
woohoo! we have 3 new baby chicks today, and 2 eggs still left under the momma hen. i dont know who was more excited, mum or the the kids, ahahaha. they are SO cute. 1 black, 1 yellow with a black stripe on its head with black 'eyeliner', and a brownie motley one. hope the others will be ok too! its so exciting, these are our first chicks :)

maryteatowel1, Jan 19, 7:19am
hundy.cause I can!