How to get rid of mice ?.

mal84, Feb 19, 9:37pm
So we have a cat ( who is useless and just chases them, not kills them ) and some mouse traps. The traps are bated with peanut butter. And the ones my 3 year old can reach are made by big cheese and in kiddy safe box with holes for mice. And haven't managed to catch any mice !. Know they are there as see them in the kitchen. Most of the food is in plastic containers to try avoid them eating it. Sweep wooden floor daily. Wooden renovated '60's house in north shore and I think they hide in the walls, in the behind fridge/cabinetry. Any tips !? ( but needs to be safe with a 3 year old in the house ).

sooby, Feb 19, 9:44pm
- remove all other food sources so they have to use traps.
- put traps behind fridge & other big furniture etc, this will hopefully make it harder for your 3yo to access AND make it easier for mice to get to.
- mice like to travel around perimeter of rooms & avoid crossing open spaces, so place traps along walls & in corners.
- have heard bacon as bait works well too.
- when you do trap a mouse, reset again & again because you know he no doubt has a mrs mouse & brood of kids! Basically always leave a few set (where safe for your kid of course)

good luck!

piquant, Feb 19, 10:10pm
Had great success with Nooski mouse traps
http://www.nooski.com/products/mouse-trap/

Had a really helpful cat that used to catch mice and bring them in to show me what a clever boy he was! Then he'd put them down (in the house) and watch them disappear under some piece of furniture or other - then spend hours waiting for the poor thing to come out again so he could catch it and play with it. More often than not, the mouse outsmarted him and ended up in the pantry. I found the Nooski's very good and very efficient. I hate to see anything suffer and these do the job quickly and successfully. They use castrating rings so no nasty springs and traps to get caught in. I got mine at Farmlands but I suspect any hardware shop would have them.

sooby, Feb 20, 1:37am
I sympathize piquant - only mice we have ever had in the house have always been ones the 'helpful' cat has caught outside & then released inside!

koru67, Feb 20, 1:55am
Our Bunnings stocks Nooski traps.

rednicnz, Feb 20, 2:22am
One trick my husband uses is to bait the trap and not set them. When the bait is taken, set it the next time. Works well.

ritebuy, Feb 22, 7:59pm
take an empty fizzy drink bottle put some oil in it swish around then a small piece if p/butter on the bottom lay it on its side mice go in cant get out when caught put lid on and bin

pauldw, Feb 22, 8:06pm
I tie some bread crust to the trigger, it lasts several settings and drip some vanilla on it.

crazynana, Feb 23, 10:55pm
You need to set the trap with something like bacon rind so that the mouse has to chew at the bait.

punkinthefirst, May 29, 8:18pm
Set the traps before you go to bed, and pick them up every morning. Its just about time for rodents to start thinking about moving in with people for the winter, to keep warm and well-fed.
Those grey plastic traps seem to work most times, and not as dangerous to kids as the wire ones. Bait them with nutella or peanut butter.
Traps would be less of a worry to me than the salmonella that mice leave about (they seem to pee non-stop, all over the place, quite apart from their droppings).