Feijoa Question

2bakerz, Apr 26, 2:40am
My tree has huge feijoas which have now started to fall on the ground. But they are SO sour!Is this because of the dry summer!I still pick them up and hope they will ripen up in the bowl.I use most of them each year, cakes, chutney, desserts, and raw, but if anyone lives in Thames I would happily share them

trade4us2, Apr 26, 3:53am
I've had a tree for years and this is the first time I've had fruit. They are very small but sweet. I have been watering the tree for weeks.

kateley, Apr 26, 3:56am
they don't usually drop off till they're ripe so don't know why they'd be sour.
A tip my sister oncetold me was to add lime to the soil to sweeten up the lettuces - might work with feijoas
PS - I've made feijoa jam and a feijoa loaf today :)

bugin, Apr 26, 10:20pm
To ripen feijoas ,(or anything else ) put the fruit in a plastic bag with some ripe apples and the ethylene gas given off by the apples (naturally) will help ripen the other fruit .Works with kiwis lemons bananas etc .For the same reason ,don't store other fruit in the fridge ,or fruit bowl beside apples unless they are sealed in a bag.

kam04, Apr 26, 10:54pm
Ours are the same but that's how we like them. Give them a few days and they will ripen.

dibble35, Apr 26, 11:23pm
They always taste much sweeter (well mine do) if left in the fruit bowl for a day or two before you eat them, they get a little softer rather than hard as. I never eat them straight after they have fallen.

guest, Jun 2, 11:53am
Heck yeah this is eacxtly what I needed.

guest, May 23, 11:47am
LupIyr dxrhdathntwb