Feijoa trees not producing fruit

peppastar, Feb 23, 6:58am
We have had a feijoa tree for 4 years now. Every year it flowers but we have yet to have fruit. It looks to be about 1/2 way grown to full size. What am i doing wrong! Ive never actually pruned it before could thisbe why its not producing fruit!

imagine4, Feb 23, 7:31am
dont you need a male tree like kiwifruit

dibble35, Feb 23, 7:34am
Yep some need another feijoa tree to pollinate it. Flowers are a good start, just need some pollen action :-)

bryshaw, Feb 23, 9:15am
x1
You can manually pollinate with a soft artist brush.

aloha3, Feb 23, 11:11am
You need another one.

To pruce feijoa - prune it so a sparrow can fly through it. We take out different large inner branches a year.
Haw your fed it!

gardie, Feb 23, 7:21pm
We had two feijoas when we moved into our house 17 years ago and I have not had a single fruit off them.We trim them so a bird can fly through and about 5 years ago, one just up and died.The other is still going - get flowers to still no fruit.Last year, I brought some giant feijoas and saved the seed.Now I have 10 little plants and if I can get them going, the other one will come out for sure.We just keep hoping, and hoping.

wheelz, Feb 23, 7:49pm
If you buy a named fruiting variety, you don't get this problem. If you buy cheapplants from supermarkets, The warehouse and like, all you get is the hedging variety. Which very seldom fruit whatever you do.

owen106, Feb 23, 8:21pm
Modern varieties only need one tree as they self-pollinate. We have two as they are far older than 20 years.

peppastar, Feb 23, 10:08pm
How far apart does the other tree need to be for pollination! Might need to investigate further Thanks all

junie2, Feb 24, 12:28am
We have one, which has always fruited. Must be a self pollinator, although i believe birds do most of that.

dibble35, Feb 24, 3:34am
True but you will get bigger and more fruit with 2 varieties, eg, mammoth is self fertile, but does much better with a triumph polliator

mybooks, Feb 25, 2:28am
Blackbirds are great for pollinating feijoa's. the whole tree shakes when they're in the tree!

rainbowwarrior1, Feb 27, 6:28am
There are few reasons. Go to the incredible edibles website then toFAQ there is a section on feijoa's

venna2, Feb 27, 7:14am
It depends what variety it is. Some do benefit from the right type of companion tree. Also, feijoas are pollinated by birds - maybe you don't get enough birds in your garden!

guest, May 20, 4:00am
Wow! So many creative ideas! A few years ago when we laeckd space for a real tree, I use two tomato cages that were shaped like cones and stacked them. Then I cut strips of silver paper and folded each strip over the grids of the cage. As I filled each row on the grid with folded strips it began to take the shape of a pine tree atop a mountain side. I then added a white stick on white sparkle to each strip and placed a light inside the tree. It was pretty and simple.