Feijoa expert wanted

dalkemade, Apr 29, 6:59am
I have inherited a feijoa tree which has just started fruiting in earnest. The fruit is quite large with a yum mild taste and is the only feijoa in the garden so must be self fertile. Im moving and would love to be able to identify it and buy one for my next place.Thanks

katalin2, Apr 29, 8:06am
If it is a young tree they shift ok. We were given one that had just started fruiting, shifted it in autumn, and has been fruiting ever since, more each year.

happychappy50, Apr 29, 8:30am
You could try taking some cuttings & have them grafted,it's not too difficult to do . If in doubt Google it.If I am not mistaken cuttings are taken now & wrap them in moist paper & keep in the fridge or somewhere cool,graft in spring when growth becomes vigorous . I think that is the procedure.

Mine has become very leggy so over the past 2 seasons have made some decent cuts & are training new branches I would suspect that new growth takes 3 yrs before it will throw blossom.

venna2, Apr 29, 8:42am
I think you might be asking what type of feijoa it might be? Can you supply a photo in case someone is able to identify it or at least make an informed guess?

I have several feijoa trees (all planted by myself) and the ones which have the biggest fruit seem to be the Tagan variety and also the Kawatiri. But there are many many different varieties and new ones seem to come out all the time.

Also, many feijoa trees are self-fertile but they generally do even better if there's a different type nearby, preferably one which flowers around the same time.

dalkemade, Apr 30, 7:42am
Many thanks to happychappy50 and venna2 for the excellent info. I ended up finding a good site and I think it is a "Mother Goose" I weighed one of the larger fruits and it was 200g, quite thrilling.

twain1, Apr 30, 7:37pm
There are many varieties with large fruit, wiki tu being one of the largest and more likely and common than mother goose.
Feijoa grow from cuttings so there is no need to graft. I have apollo which also have large fruit
If given lots of nutrients and fertiliser most feijoa produce big fruit

dalkemade, Apr 30, 7:53pm
twain1 thanks that's very helpful, will try a cutting

rita197, May 1, 5:36am
I suggest you simply buy another. Do a bit of research to see what others recommend.

dalkemade, Jan 15, 2:16am
Thanks rita 197. Have moved house hence the delay in answering. Guess buying an established one would make things quicker