Quick growing garden for sandy place.

anne1955, Apr 25, 7:12am
My move is about to happen in the next couple of weeks and if I get good weather I will start asap.I want firstly to get things that grown in sand,I am fine with the hand watering.The biggest no, no is Grannies Bonnets I dislke them so much.I really don't want seed spreading things I can't control.Big ungainly things that are all stalk and no real purpose sorry.I'm not fussed on hydrangeas or poppies but might open my life to such.
I plan to build rasied gardens.And like odd plants.My friend has this amazing thing that looks like a rubrab (sp) gone mad but is spikey and has fruit/flower the native birds love id huge and dies over winter :( but I will be planting in in my scarcrow (sp) garden one with little people in it.I like mad and crazy and different.:)There are lots of native birds in the area I want to bring them in.But it's sadly sandy, coastal and near Dn so not tropical :(Ideas please and if anyone has things in Dunedin they are happy to give me pieces that would be amazing or are willing to sell and post cheap sadly I brought my bay trees and had them posted worked fine couried in box and have done it with other plants as well.Happy to pay postage and TM fees for things.

stevee6, Apr 25, 8:05am
Imo with sandy soil look at NZ natives such as flaxes, hebes, olerias, astelias, rengarenga, muehlenbeckia, akeake(mulch well with compost and wet newspaper until established), griselinia, kanuka and manuka etc. Also consider some of the tougher Aussie plants such as banksia, and SA natives such a leucodendrons.

anne1955, Apr 25, 8:41am
Thanks lovely lady.I know a few of those and will be taking form my friend and listening to locals, for ideas.

lmwheeler, May 16, 4:55pm
This site is great for doing a search for perennials to suit your needs:
http://www.perennials.com/advanced-perennial-search.html

Select fast-growing and sandy and then anything else you want.