House with no undercoat

annmary79, Mar 27, 12:57am
We are going to start repainting our house,The previous owner said the place had been painted two years before be bought it.(Its now two years on from that)Problem is they never prepared or undercoated and the paint is peeling off in places.Am wondering if we should strip it all right back and start from scratch.The neighbour said it only took the previous owner only two hours to paint one side of the house.

pauldw, Mar 27, 1:13am
Is the current top coat peeling off bare wood or the previous paint!

annmary79, Mar 27, 1:24am
It is peeling off bare wood,no undercoat at all.

trade4us2, Mar 27, 6:03am
Modern paints don't need primer or undercoat.
This is Wattyl Solarguard on bare wood:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2a66ybs.jpg

annies3, Mar 27, 6:49am
We used this but it has peeled off in places so we have stripped back to bare wood and repainted with an oil based undercoat which has an additive to prevent peeling off, then repainted with solargard, this is what we were advised to do, so far it is really good so we will finish the rest of the house, it is really hard work but so very worthwhile, incidently we are close to the coast and salt under paint can cause it to peel so we also washed the wall before repainting it.

fordkiwi27, Mar 27, 7:29am
if its peeling off bad and took 2 hours to prepare and paint,id be stripping it for sure.

smalltrader2, Mar 27, 7:42am
Yes. A lot of modern paint stated that no primer or undercoat is required. However, some wood has an oily nature to it and without a good undercoat, the top coat could suffer premature failure. I have seen this happened before.
A really good and easy undercoat to use is Zinsser B-I-N Primer/Sealer which works well for me.

anne1955, Mar 27, 7:44am
I soke to 'my builder' recently about sorry wattle paints ok a builder not a painter but told me they where not the best brand ok each to own.But I'd go with the extra cost and prime/undercoat first.I know extra costs but if you want a good job and plan to live in it and not sell again quickly I'd spend the extra.Brought a place once that was painted every where in a brown, and was painted over dirt etc to sell.Well the dramas couldn't match the colour for love nor money, one day buy chance I was in a shop and a rep was there and said that's a roof paint colour. and yes the inside was painted in roof paint.As he said fine but to match it you'll never be able to.So I repaided all I needed 3/4 house in it again.When I sold it I left the left over paint so no one had to go through this again.I have always done this if I mix I leave directions for how much what to what.

hutchk, Mar 27, 7:51am
Are your window frames rotting, or has the paint peeled off!

trade4us2, Mar 27, 8:19am
Yes the window frames are rotten. I'll make new ones, since I have a router.

annmary79, Mar 27, 11:08pm
Thanks for replies.This place had been painted over dirt as well,especially round the windows,which we have taken back to bare wood.The house is circa 1930-1940.This place is also painted in brown colours.What a mission its going to be for us old folk!

annies3, Apr 30, 11:44pm
We are old folk as well LOL do be aware there may be lead paint on the old house so be very careful.