Sparkie question - thanks.

Page 1 / 2
barrie2, Mar 27, 7:19pm
Cut through cable from stereo amplifier to mains plug. Repaired cable using hard plastic connecting block bought at electrical outlet and wrapped the block and cable with numerous layers of insulating tape. Is this safe - I though so but I got a "sarcastic" comment on another thread about the safety issue! Thanks for answer.

tigra, Mar 27, 7:33pm
You are bound to get a sarcastic answer from some of theelectrical safety nazis on here at times. But seriously I would keep my eye out for a replacement cable, Nothing like being sure about wiring safety

mrfxit, Mar 27, 7:53pm
As long as you have the correct color cables connected, then as a TEMPORARY solution it will be fine.
The danger is when it's been left for a month or 2 & the tape comes loose in the sun or a few months & the tape goes hard & cracks, then it's going to become potentially dangerous.

Get the cable replaced ASAP
In this situation, a connector block is ONLY a temporary fix.

russ18, Mar 27, 8:32pm
I think you realise it's a dodgy repair that's why your asking. twice
Why don't you just fix it (or get it fixed) properly then you know it's safe.

kcc55a, Mar 27, 9:46pm
More than twice!OP has started threads in several topics. SPAMMER

mrfxit, Mar 27, 10:46pm
Not really, was asking slightly different questions on the other threads & now NEEDS to know if the repair is "safe"

muzzaandmich, Mar 28, 12:10am
Another accident going out to happen
Wait for the bang when you hit the switch
Get a reg sparkydon'tmuck around .

mrfxit, Mar 28, 12:45am
.<<<<<

mrfxit, Mar 28, 12:48am
Yea not wrong there on either point ;-(

favouriteseller, Mar 28, 2:03am
barrie2 , no its not considered safe as insulation tape can fall off or unravel over time .
two ways to fix properly
1/buy replacement cable -most electrical wholesalers will have a supply cord with a moulded plug already on it and install into your stereo
2/use a rewirable 3 pin plug andfit it at the end of the good part of the stereo supply cord , thus removing the connector etc, if the stereo supply cable is now to short to reach the power point, a short extension lead can be used

asa50, Mar 28, 3:41am
"
AND yet, cable connectors are very common inside appliance's/ switch boards etc.

Blunt statements need a quantifying pointer or they can be easily diverted or misunderstood."

Cable connectors inside appliances/switch boards are not subject to physical strain, block connectors are NOT suitable for use in a lead such as described by the OP.
Suitable leads and plugs can be bought reasonably cheaply at any hardware store.

t_naki, Mar 28, 4:29am
I think you should just quit while you are behind, both of your suggestions have been extremely bad advise.

One question comes to mind which my boss asked me when I was an apprentice. What is the proven and recognised insulating properties of insulation tape!

The correct answer is "nothing", there are none.

The fix is bad for 2 reasons, firstly there is no cable grip to prevent strain on the cable terminations and secondly, there is not adequate insulation to prevent contact with live parts or other things from making contact with live parts.

mrfxit, Mar 28, 5:45am
LMAOROF . AND .

At what point did I say it was fine to leave it like that.
DID I say to get it fixed properly ASAP
DID I say it was a permanent fix or Temporary fix.

IF ;;;;
"What is the proven and recognised insulating properties of insulation tape!

The correct answer is "nothing", there are none." .

IF this correct, then WHY is it called "insulation tape" & why does it prevent electric shock when covering a bare live wire

LOL, just no pleasing some ppl no matter what you say.

kwaka5, Mar 28, 9:02am
Just curious but are you actually a qualified electrician mrfixit!

t_naki, Mar 28, 9:05am
It is unsafe it does not matter if it is a short term or a long term thing, it is unsafe.

Just because someone calls it insulation tape does not mean that it is. There are no standards to which it is made and no recognition in any regulation or standard as a insulating medium. I have used it to tie cables together and to tape up the end of a cable that I have disconnected in the off chance that an idiot may reconnect it, but it is not a first line barrier for protection and never will be. To advise people that is is is irresponsible and dangerous.

t_naki, Mar 28, 9:28am
I would hope not!

drsr, Mar 28, 10:24am
That's right, if nanny state doesn't say it insulates, then it doesn't insulate.

On the other hand, what about "ASTM D3005 - 10 Standard Specification for Low-Temperature Resistant Vinyl Chloride Plastic Pressure-Sensitive Electrical Insulating Tape"! Or the other international standards for insulation tape (UL 510 etc.)!

lythande1, Mar 28, 6:47pm
Geez.so it's wired correctly, it has tape. Yes it's safe.
Yes the tape may come off later - it may not too, electrical tape isn't like sellotape.

However so what, then it can be checked later too.

t_naki, Mar 28, 6:51pm
So how many layers are needed to meet the standard for double insulation! Are there any other installation specifications in order to apply it correctly! Does OP have tape made to this standard or does he have a pack of 10 rolls from the $2 shop!

drsr, Mar 28, 7:58pm
Those are all different questions, but fundamentally, PVC tape does insulate. 3M has a good article about the lost art of electrical taping here: http://goo.gl/Jh8xk The main mistake people make with it is not stretching it when you apply it, that way it sticks much harder and won't unravel.

mrfxit, Mar 28, 9:00pm
* Like * ;-)

Brilliant article from 3M, simple & to the point.

davea74, Mar 28, 9:19pm
Another thing to take into consideration is who is present in the household.You would be an idiot to use this 'repaired' cable if there are any children present in the house - even temporarily.

mrfxit, Mar 28, 9:47pm
Yes of course ;-) , totally agree
I did strongly suggest getting it repaired properly ASAP now that he knows the unit is still running ok.

foureyes15, Mar 29, 4:31am
Buy a 2 metre extension cord with molded fittings from Bunnings for $3.00 cut the female plug of and wire into amplifier. Problem solved

kamitchell, Mar 29, 6:51am
AS/NZS 3000 3.7.2.8
"Joints shall not be made in flexible cords."
Sojust not allowed for the many reasons posted above.
The post above has the best idea and one I often use, cheap and safe if done correctly.
Bunnings do sell an in-line cord switch (Arlec 9324)I guess you could wire in as it does have a cord restraint but would cost more than a $3 extn lead