Growing courgettes

lyndad59, Feb 16, 2:35am
My plants are lovely and big ,they flower then the courgette forms ,grows about 4 cm then drops off .Am I over watering ! I had great crop last year ,but this year nil .Live in ChCh .Thanks

kateley, Feb 16, 7:19am
It sounds like they're not being fertlised.They have male and female flowers.You can pollinate them yourself with a paintbrush.Dab it into all the flowers one after the other so you swap the pollen around.

hillty, Feb 16, 8:01am
possibly over watering/droppingthe night time temps that the plant has to endure, same problem up here, in a drought!
Water early morning if needed, but not on foliage.
Same as my beans, they have now taken off with heaps of watering, early morning, around the plants, rather than an evening water all over, funny season this is! Only crops really going are root veges, and leek.
Oh, and weeds!

meegs35, Feb 16, 8:26am
Same here.so frustrating!

darinz, Feb 16, 8:32am
Not being fertilized.

books4nz, Mar 9, 9:10pm
Mine did the same. and beans and cucumber's. friend said be patient. and she was right. they're forming fruit well now. and I'm picking them regularly. maybe use the paintbrush to help them pollinate.the male flowers are the one's on longer stems, the female the short stemmed flowers with a little courgette at the base. place the brush on a male stemmed flower and brush it a bit, then do the same on a female flower. Good luck.