Dishwasher handle cracking

tc47, Nov 17, 7:38am
We've got a Fisher and Paykel Nautilus Dishwasher (about 3-4 years old). The door handle is cracking. I think we need to replace it, is this something we could do ourselves - ie is the part easily available! Or is it a proper repairer jobbie!

jody23, Nov 17, 9:07am
you can buy a handle kit off here, i have seen them before because our handle also broke on our one.You could probably do it yourself, we never ended up buying one, but I can tell you that Duct tape works well to keep it closed haha

tehenga288, Nov 17, 9:28am
Had mine replaced - cost $200+ ! That was for part , labour and travel time so try and do it yourself if you can.

carter19, Nov 17, 6:28pm
we bought the part from Appliance World in Glen Innes and did it ourselves. Cost about $20

floweringrose, Nov 17, 6:28pm
same here.(search nautilus faceplate)

angel404, Nov 17, 7:21pm
I used duct tape on my handle also haha. worked a treat!

planespotterhvn, Nov 17, 7:40pm
Can glue it together using MEK solvent but still need to remove it to perform this task so may as well put a new part in.

tc47, Nov 17, 7:43pm
Thanks guys :)

Another thing to go on the Mr's list, lol.

issymae, Nov 17, 9:04pm
did you have a warranty with it; it may be covered

tc47, Nov 17, 9:10pm
Nope, i doubt it, when searching for the part on here, I realised it's probably closer to 6-8 years old. Was in this house when we bought it :) And I took a guess as to how old the kitchen was. but the previous owner may have picked it up 2nd hand.

tmenz, Nov 18, 3:41am
Ring F & P Customer Care parts number (find it on www.fisherpaykel.co.nz) and they will identify the parts and courier them to you.

trade4us2, Nov 18, 5:27am
Why is it that F&P parts fail because they are clearly inadequate, and the replacement parts are so expensive! On my dishwasher the plastic part and latch at the top of the door has been redesigned because the old part kept cracking where the screws went in. I should be able to get the new part somewhat cheaper because the old part was a bad design. But no, the replacement parts were so expensive that I got a second-hand Simpson dishwasher instead.
So I have an F&P dishwasher that works except the the door handle and surrounding parts have fallen to bits. The basic machine is good but F&P don't seem to be able to design handles and switches very well. And their Customer Care are unhelpful. So never again will I buy F&P.

pamow69, Nov 18, 10:16am
Wow! Sorry to say but you were ripped off big time. Part costs $52 plus GST (retail price not trade ) from F&P. Plus half hour labour so cost should of been around $110 max.

pamow69, Nov 18, 10:22am
This is a common fault caused by the type of plastic they use which becomes brittle with heat & steam etc. New part is available from F&P. Comes as a kit - plastic panel, new screws & stick on decal for the wording. Retail price is $52 plus GST.If you have the right screw driver (torx type) and handy at doing jobs it is quite easy. You have to take off the lower door panel first then unscrew the plastic trim. Watch out for the sharp edges on the stainless steel inner panel. Can be like razor blades and very easy to cut yourself.

tc47, Nov 8, 11:40am
Thanks pamow - very helpful :)