Query re tomatoes

cucine, Feb 21, 2:57am
I have two plants, a black cherry one and an ox-heart. They have both grown like triffids with heaps of tomatoes on them, but it is only in the last few days they are ripening, and then only a few. Is this normal and will they all ripen!.seems late to me but then I am a novice! Thank you. mrs cucine.

pisces47, Feb 21, 3:15am
Just a general answer. There are early and late tomatoes and the weather plays a part.If the plants are healthy and you feed and water them and the weather stays warm then they should be OK

ange164, Feb 21, 3:23am
Yes its normal for only a few at a time to ripen. It's approximately 60 days from flower to harvest. Not all the flowers came out at once, and not all the tomatoes will be ripe at once.

dibble35, Feb 21, 5:03am
I know my Albenga oxheart tom was a late ripening variety, it finally got going about 2 weeks ago. It's going great now. It seemed to be a lateripening season for me but they are going well now. I have noticed it is quite cool for february, may be in for an early autumn/winter so the tomato plants may not ripen all the fruit before the plants die, you always get some green ones that dont ripen in time though.

cantabman1, Feb 21, 7:39pm
To OP:
I see you are from the Coromandel, so there should be plenty of time for toms to ripen off. Most Garderners growing toms, dont pick any fruit untilJanuary, unless they are grown in a glass house. Mine are producing well, but only really started about 5 weeks ago. I have tried to raise seeds in late winter to grow bigger plants by the time the warm weather comes, but still end up picking at the same time.
Im informed that toms need 22 degrees plus weather to grow and ripen well.

cucine, Feb 22, 1:14am
You guys are invaluable! Thank you!

velenski, Feb 22, 10:42pm
my Siberian are only ready now ,soooo yummy :)

malone4, Mar 19, 8:16am
Hi there.
I tell you what.its always best to have your crop ripening just a few every day instead of all at once. as i make mine do every season.
Because its a big pain in the butt having abundance of tomato's all at once. Then you'd be busy pickling and preserving them all and wont have fresh toms in the morning for breakfast.
But normally once your toms start ripening here n there its only a matter of time before the rest follow suite.