Masport Motor Mower Owners - reviews please

gemini007, Nov 16, 8:10pm
We need a new motor mower and are looking at two models:

http://www.masport.co.nz/Default.aspx!tabid=1099andhttp://www.masport.co.nz/Default.aspx!tabid=1100

Do you own one of these!Do you like it!Have you had any problems!Any advantages/disadvangages with the chipper model!Do you like/use the chipper!THANKS!

supernova2, Nov 16, 9:49pm
I have only had Masport mowers for 40 years.1st was an iron horse 2 stroke and eventually the ali body simply wore out - mowed too many rocks and stones I guess. 2nd was also an iron horse (mid 70s model) which we gave to daughter in 2002. Present is a 2002 4stroke.Believe it or not have never replaced a spark plug only had to buy blades.

Masport may be a bit expensive but if you treat it with a bit of care it will last for ever - well almost.However the new ones are not NZ made so may not be as good as they used to be.

ambo11, Nov 16, 9:53pm
Only problem with those models is they are quite heavy.but otherwise are top quality mowers. Other option is Lawnmaster, every bit as good as Masport, NZ made. Can't go wrong with either of these brands if you pick the higher end models though, comes down to choice really, both use the same motors. Looked after, these mowers will last you 20 years, wheels may wear out halfway though their life but they are only $20 each new.
Smiles at the Iron Horse comment above, I restore the old Iron Horse mowers, and still use them to mow my lawns today.

ambo11, Nov 16, 9:57pm
Forgot to say, the chippers are okay if you use them, but most people don't.if you were always trimming very light branches etc, they do cut them into a good wee mulch size to put around plants etc.otherwise just mow them and it will go into the catcher anyway.

gemini007, Nov 16, 11:27pm
Thanks for the advice!

gemini007, Nov 17, 3:52am
bump for any more advice

cantabman1, Nov 17, 4:14am
just go buy any masport you like, they are all good and all have a toughened blade [Austempering] that make them as hard as nails.

spiritofgonzo, Nov 17, 6:34am
between those 2!They are virtually the exact same mower.Personal choice.Good reliable mower.

easygoer, Nov 17, 8:30am
I have the 3 in 1, good mower and with the start cord fitted at the top end of the handle it is easy to start, the wife has no problems with it as long as I keep the petrol tin full

andrew1954, Nov 8, 2:50pm
The modern lawn mower design has been "hiacked" by the PC / Greenie brigade.when the major listed selling point for the model is how quiet itis, then you know it will be all down hill from there ! The motors are governed back to a "fast idle" !A lawn motor should only have two speedsettings, OFF orFLAT OUT. and if the blade is not "pulling the grass out by it roots". then the height setting is not low enough !