Great water saving tip - shower with buckets, then

Page 2 / 2
bella95, Mar 9, 3:05am
Take the s bend off your basin and put a bucket under it. You can still use the basin as normal but you'll get at least a bucket of water a day from it. Make sure you check it often to avoid a flood. Used it to flush the loo each evening after the quakes.

kinna54, Mar 9, 4:32am
Yep we are conserving and reusing water anywhere we can, 2min showers (egg timer) and as our shower is over the bath we put the plug in, and then the water goes on the vege garden.
(sadly the rest of the gardenis suffering but doing what we can) Also using all washing machine waste water (front loader usage is on lowest water level tho) .
Not good.

timbo69, Mar 9, 9:50pm
arrogant townie, just turn the tap on aye

trader_84, Mar 10, 1:56am
We dipped the tanks 2 days ago. We have big catchment areas in terms of roof size so when it does rain - we maximize our yeild. There are 3 tanks on the property. 2 x 25000L ones service the house with the 3rd one installed a couple of years ago as contingency and to do the vege gardens. This one is 25000L. The catchment area feeding this last tank is reasonably substantial also - two large sheds. The only water that goes into the tanks is from off the roofs. Two days ago . suprise suprise. I thought we were just about out. We have been conserving water like everybody else but (and country okies will understand this) we have a personal interest in being conservative because its all we have - we are not on town supply. We've seen the water trucks going up and down our road also. They started around 2 weeks ago and have slowed down now a tad but were very busy during the first week. We did not get any preferring instead to try and conserve before taking the plunge. I've actually got a little bit of a 'pip' with the water contractors . they seem to be making $ hand over first. But anyway . up the ladder I went with a long piece of alum from out of the workshop to use as a dip stick. Checked the shed fed one first - omg! almost full! :)) Checked the house ones and they are around 2/3's full. Hmmmm. reported the find to the boss and she said that we will still continue to stick to the plan just in case. We thought we were just about out. We relied on the 'tap tap tup' test to tell us where the water levels were instead of actually checking, lol! Wrong. But anyway . just saying. Oh yeah . question - there is a bore down the back. The water that comes out of there is not fit to drink by us but the stock seem to drink it ok. Its got black sediment in it. Iron someone said. It smells rotten also. The bottoms of the drink troughs are black but the water is always clear and cool. Is this alright to water our trees with! Or will this sorta water hurt them! Our trees are starting to wither but i am reluctant to use tank water.

ira78, Mar 10, 2:09am
Trader, we're exactly the same.Everyone around here seems to be getting truckloads of water delivered and I thought we must be getting low because I figure watering the gardens and trees must be using up a reasonable amount of water.Nope, about 3/4 tank.We only have a single 16,000L(I think) tank.

trader_84, Mar 10, 2:23am
Haha, yep! Ok ira . you need to slow down on them trees and think of yourself. Another thing we did also is we re-routed our sewer drip line. The drip lines actually run through our gardens now out by the road (not close to the house) The trees love this sorta water but you need to be using the toilet alot and be doing washing etc like normal for it to come out of the other end. We are not so its not coming out of the other end like we thought, lol! But yeah, tryers. Its good to share stories and thoughts about this sorta thing. Its a worry aye!

hanmer, Mar 10, 2:34am
today, i noticed my new oranges (size of eggs) are falling off the tree - which is looking a bit tired.i never ever used wash water but this morning i put bucket loads of it on. later in the week i'll follow it up with bucket loads of the rinse water.just 2 of us in the house so we don't have that big amt of water.
Stevie, is just one of the lucky ones with a natural spring in his garden!

punkinthefirst, Apr 10, 12:59pm
I'm in town, but we've had water restrictions since December. Lucky I'm still a country gal at heart!