Magnolia Trees

lynken37, Mar 11, 9:54pm
My neighbour has all these magnolia trees planted along the boundary fence, they are getting rather big now and constantly drop leaves, petals etc into my property. Even more annoying is that is where my washing line is and all the bits land all over the washing. Am I permitted to trim them and if so, how far! Any assistance gratefully received.

pericles, Mar 11, 9:57pm
yes you can trim whatever is on your side, not theirs

texastwo, Mar 11, 10:11pm
Yeah Magnolia petals can be a real nuisance. While you can prune any branches that come on to your section thats as far as you can go, but just think of all those wonderful flowers you will get.

piquant, Apr 13, 4:02am
Yes, you can trim them back to the fenceline but my best advice would firstly be to TALK TO THE NEIGHBOURS and explain your situation. They would probably far rather do the pruning themselves to ensure that a uniform look ensues rather than have others cut back branches to a fenceline and have short branches on one side. It unbalances the tree. It will also keep neighbourly relations happier, in my opinion. Always better to try and resolve these things by talking rather than risk alienating them. If a reasonable request is refused, then you have the law on your side to be able to trim accordingly. Best of luck.