Wooden floors.

jag5, Mar 14, 1:15am
have just moved into our home 5 weeks ago.polished floors through dining room and kitchen.Twice in the last couple of days, minding our own business, when VERY loud cracks were heard.on checking the floor, the boards are cracking!They get the sun most of the day, and with the temps we have been having.is this contributing and is there anything we can do!Help please.

kwaka5, Mar 14, 1:30am
cover them

hutchk, Mar 14, 3:13am
Has underfloor insulation and/or a moisture barrier been installed recently!

jag5, Mar 14, 7:24am
y e s s s s .why!Underfloor but not sure how long ago.last Winter I think!

bella-boo, Mar 14, 7:29am
Hmm, tell me more.

jag5, Mar 14, 7:32am
such as bella-boo!Me or hutchk!Huge cracks.can tell they are new as there is not dust in them like the older ones.scared the crap out of me when they happended.and the cat too.lol

Not fixable.could replace them I guess.or have to put carpet or tiles down.

zak410, Mar 14, 8:14am
Thats right, under floor insulationmakes timber-floor houses much warmer in summer;
unfortunately this is a common occurrence for wooden floors since large scale insulation;
curtains and ventilation are your only bets.short of ripping off the insulation!.
good for winter not for summer !!

jag5, Mar 14, 8:48am
Really!Does Insurance have any part to play in fixing, repairing, covering or any aspect at all!

jenny188, Mar 14, 10:11am
Insurance might cover; but read your policy. Changed mine this year and it will allow only 6K for long term or slowly emerging faults, like rotting windowsills or damage caused by leaky underfloor or wall pipes.

tahnasha, Mar 14, 10:17am
I would try, I deal with difference insurance companies all the time with wooden floor claims, and you'd be surprised what they cover.You name it, I've probably seen it, although I don't often see your problem because most of the ones I deal with are on slabs.

jag5, Mar 14, 7:16pm
Thanks guys.food for thought.see what comes.

frag, Mar 16, 5:15am
Don't most insulating materials warm in winter but help cool in Summer! Never quite understood how but thats the theory. I have wooden floors, tawa, narrow boards. Had underfloor insulated 2010 or 2011 haven't heard or noticed cracks.

jag5, Mar 16, 5:30am
you are so lucky frag.ours are a mess.we noticed a few cracks when we bought the place, but put it down to age etc.but having been sitting here and hearing the noise when one goes.horrendous.

And yes, you have the theory right.but not always in reality.prior to this house we lived in a new house.to my mind overly insulated and it was nowhere near cool in the summer.we fried.

frag, Mar 16, 5:34am
Good luck with insurance then. I believe they should cover this type of thing but they have their ways of getting out of stuff.Shouldn't affect claim but I wonder if certain woods are more susceptable! (sp!)

malone4, Mar 16, 7:53am
And not trying to scare monger or anything but with insurance companies they require you to let them know of any change of situations. such as renovations , instalments and the like. Even little things that may seem irrelevant to you like going to court for speeding or change in life style choices such as taking up smoking could end up as a clause B for your insurance policy to be denied. so if you hadn't disclosed or completely transparent with your changes you maybe out of luck.
It always pays to cross the t's and dot the i's when it comes to insurance policies to keep everything above board and protect your interests.

jag5, Apr 20, 5:15pm
We only moved in 5 weeks ago.lol.so don't know they would look at it anyway.But we are with State and have never ever had a problem with any claim.mostly water stuff.just hope that when the rain does eventualy come, we don't have that problem again too.lol