Hardwood floors, staples and laying lino over them

dibble35, Dec 11, 1:08am
Hi, i'm in the process of pulling up the old lino and hardboard from my kitchen and toilet floors. There is some nice T&G hardwood flooring under there, a bit to stained to sand back and varnish although this is what i would love to do. Anyway. theres tonnes of staples left in the floor. If they are just going to lay hardboard/bison board over the old flooring and lino over that would it matter to much about the staples? How pedantic do i have to be about getting them out verses the lazy way of hammering them flat? I have pulled staples out of approx 1/5 of the floor and the rest is a daunting task. There are so many staples, they did an extremely thorough job when they put this lot of hardboard and lino down, thats for sure. TIA

omamari, Dec 11, 2:16am
No, just flatten them

mrscat, Dec 12, 5:05am
Are you sure you can not refurbish old floor. Mine was covered with black glue from tiles being laid over . The sanders put oil on floor and sanded black to new. That was about 25 years ago so I am sure technology has moved on since then.

annies3, Dec 12, 5:22am
Yes well worth removing the staples and renovating the floor, it will look amazing and providing you have something to stop the draughts getting through the T&G you will love it, should also increase the value of your home.
The correct tool makes it a whole lot easier as well I don't know the correct name for it but it looks like a miniature farrier tool which is used for pulling horse shoes off and nails out, we have one here but sorry about the name.

dibble35, Jul 8, 10:08pm
hey guys, I ended up phoning a floor sander guy to come and advise me whether the floors are worth doing or not. I finished pulling up the last of the lino under the fridge and stove today, pulled out most of the staples with a staple remover tool I found at Bunnings. The floor is in good condition other than some stains and some holes that are drilled under where the fridge goes. dont know what they're for but hopefully they can be filled. We will see what the guy says. fingers crossed