Steam mops & polyurethane floors

shiyo, May 4, 8:01pm
Just use a spray mop. no steam but easy to use with a microfibre pad.

maibuy, May 7, 6:20am
I have varnished stairs and for some mental reason I used the steam mop on them after mopping the tiles. I was so persisittent steaming over the same area I ended up cooking them. I'm now left with large horrible milky blothes on the stairs and it will never come out. I now have to save up to have them polyurethaned again.

pricilla, May 11, 12:39am
I asked the guy at the shop if my new steam mop can be used on varnished wooden floors. He assured me he had an old homestead & they used the same mop & worked great. I shouldn't of listened to him. Big mistake. I only use it now on vinyl tiles now.

eyesonu, Jun 21, 10:01am
For any varnished floorboard try a mop in hot water with a capful of methylated spirits. Works a treat.

roys351, Jun 21, 10:26am
that is good for polyurethane or polythane but meths will soften any waterbased products

acrobat, Jun 26, 10:26pm
I've steam mopped my poly'ed wooden floors for years now, still all good. Gives a great shine. Only concern would be keep the head moving to not over heat but it's simply common sense. I won't go back to the old mop n bucket routine.

quillta1, Jun 28, 11:20pm
I used to clean three houses that are now Kindies. Two had polished floors. They came up lovely everyday. As long as the mop keeps moving and is not left in one spot to long we had no problems with it. On the lino parts it is still the same . If left hot standing it will lift the lino as well.

4rdfan4eva, Dec 6, 12:57am
I am thinking about pulling up the lino and worn carpet in my kitchen/dining area to sand and polyurethane the floor boards but can I use my steam mop with out damaging the floor? Any advice about doing the floors appreciated as well.

tahnasha, Dec 6, 6:32am
No I wouldn't use a steam mop on polyurethane floors.

miffycat1, Dec 6, 11:35am
I use the steam mop on my floors, they come up great with no problems experienced.
The only thing we were told not to do, was to leave the mop standing still on the floor.

paix1, Dec 6, 5:41pm
. ditto! My floors were polyurethaned too. As miffycat says, just don't EVER leave steam mop standing in one place. (then it will leave a whitish mark on the floor that can't be removed).

shakespeare6, Dec 6, 11:41pm
Me 3 steam mops are the best only way to go way better than a dirty mop and bucket, poly floors here as well

jaybee38, Dec 7, 1:49am
The people who polyurethaned my floor told me not to - ever. but it might depend on the timber and the number of coats.

smalltrader2, Dec 7, 6:14am
Why risk it. Steam mop is known to damage wooden floor. It is a bit like using waster blaster on soft wood like pine.

If you are very skillful you might get away with the water blaster not damaging the wood. Moral of the story, it is your call on whether to take the risks or not, Personally I would stick with a good old fashion mop with some warm water and special detergent for wooden floor.

kat120, Dec 7, 8:25am
My mother in law gave me her steam mop because it damaged her wood polyurethaned floorboards. Lucky me I say. :)

tahnasha, Dec 7, 10:53am

4rdfan4eva, Dec 4, 12:58pm
Well that is decision made, I'll look into another alternative. Thanks everyone.