Polyurethaning floors .

apollo11, Jul 27, 6:13am
Just about finished the sanding- have been using a modified buffer, great fun! I've looked into the various types of poly I can use, not so keen on moisture cured due to toxicity. Was just wondering how good the water based poly is, will it last as long as oil based? Anyone have any hints to what is the best stuff to use, best way to apply etc? The floor is rimu. Many thanks!

rak1, Jul 27, 7:51am
There is a guy in Upper Hutt who makes Danish oil for floors, especially suited to Rimu. Can't for the life of me remember his name but you put on 3 or 4 coats to get good waterproofing. The first 2 coats were "flood coats" and the rest by brush or rag.

apollo11, Jul 27, 8:10am
I love Danish oil on smaller stuff, but it is really expensive from places like M10 and Bunnings. Twice the price of poly, and you use a lot of it.

tillsbury, Jul 28, 12:31pm
We distribute the Briwax Danish Oil, you should get four coats on about 45 square metres out of a five litre tin, and it's very easy to apply. Goes surprisingly far. Shout if you want more info.

acrobat, Jul 28, 10:38pm
The Danish oil would more than likely wear faster, it's a great finish for furniture but I would steer clear of using it on hard traffic areas personally. You'd be redoing it again within a short time. I've just trialled the water based poly. Milky look when you open the can but flows on very easily and dries clear, 3 coats. Dries fast and no smell! Awesome. Since this is our first trial if it holds up as well as the only oil based poly we used previously we are going to do the rest of the house. Will save a heap of time and no nasty smell thought the house for days and days. So far its looking great and it goes on directly onto existing poly without sanding it off or directly onto bare timber. So far we're impressed.

jan2242, Jul 28, 11:35pm
I used marine poly on my floors. Just starting to wear now - 27 years! Did 2 coats only.

apollo11, Jul 29, 12:35am
I've had bad experiences with the water based stuff- perhaps I was using it in the wrong environment- rimu windows. The sun and moisture had killed it in a year, the wood underneath faded quickly and then the poly started lifting off. I was ropable. I like the darker, more golden look of the oil based. Leaning towards Cabots with hardener. Danish oil is lovely stuff, but I don't want to have to re-apply it every year.

apollo11, Jul 29, 12:36am
Good job. Was it a single or a two pack?

tahnasha, Jul 29, 5:16am
You could use an oil modified urethane.

jan2242, Jul 30, 1:58am
I guess it was single? Just straight from the tin to the floor. It was bought fro me from some boatbuilding place in Auckland.

venna2, Jul 30, 2:10am
I discovered some years ago that I am severely sensitive to polyurethane, I was sick for several weeks after it was used on my floors. I've steered clear of it ever since.

apollo11, Jul 30, 2:57am
I'm sensitive to rimu dust, so I hope to smother all the rimu I can find under polyurethane :o)

mrscat, Nov 6, 1:16pm
Had my floors polished many years ago and they used a product called Unithane. I also used it myself on all the rimu cupboard doors and panelling. Floor especially in the kitchen shows wear but panelling and doors as god as new.