What is the fastest growing hedging?

love.a.bargain, Feb 9, 8:56pm
We are in the BOP and want to plant a hedge along our 80 metre driveway.What would you recommend that grows quickly!

wasgonna, Feb 9, 9:48pm
Pittosporum is probably one of the quickest. As there are about 200 varieties make sure you buy all the same variety otherwise it'll be a patchwork quilt. There are usually some good buys on TM especially for bulk lots. Just search on Pittosporum.

jphs, Feb 9, 9:49pm
In the BAy of Plenty. that would be blackberry. Hands down.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 9, 10:16pm
what sort of hedge are you after!What's the height and width that you want it to eventually get to!There are many options for whichever height you're after.

amasser, Feb 9, 10:31pm
Definitely check the height and width and expect that they are under-stated!

spiritofgonzo, Feb 9, 10:39pm
I agree, but if it's a 'hedge' then you prune it to the height and width you desire.If it's the 'fastest growing hedge' then you prune it 4x a year.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 9, 10:46pm
I assume you want evergreen, and I'm assuming your going for either the 2-3m+ tall or so large hedge, in which case pittosporum euginioides is probably the easiest and fastest of the options.Otherwise you're going for a <2m high in which case you could use Photinia Red Robin; Pittosporum; Eugenia / syzigium sp; Akeake; Phebalium.Just off the top of my head, those are the fast growing varieties.Remember, the faster they grow, the more you have to prune them.

dibble35, Feb 9, 11:30pm
I'll 2nd the vote for eugenia/syzigium being the fastest, 2nd fastest that i can think of would be lepto. coppersheen - an Australian tea tree that has amazing coloured foliage, but expect to trim lots, I was trimming twice a year and that wasnt enough. not if you want a tidy looking hedge

bugin, Feb 10, 12:36am
I recommend Ake Ake ,as it comes in dark red and green has flowers in summer and can be trimmed hard back without looking bare and nasty. Fast growing when fed and watered .Almost no maintenance required after the first year ,apart from trimming.

lythande1, Feb 10, 1:05am
x1
You want fast, put up a fence. Fast + plant = weed.
You want a nice, lovely hedge in future years, not some thing you then have to battle to keep under control for the rest of your life, then choose carefully and leave impatience for building materials.

siobhan41, Feb 28, 6:11pm
Second the Eugenia / syzigium we have planted some and they have grown very fast.
Hoping to keep it around the 2m mark but time will tell if that's possible.