Cherry or cherry plum?

rak1, Jan 21, 4:09am
We have a plum/cherry plum/cherry tree and we do not know exactly what it is. It fruits quite well with red fruit about the size of a very large cherry but the coulur is not the deep red I would expect from a cherry tree. Birds do eat the fruit but they dont go made over it as windfall fruit mainly rots on the ground. So, my question is, given that we dont know exactly what it is, is it safe for us to eat the fruit, would one moutyhful make us really sick if we were to try it.

edenrose, Jan 21, 4:15am
Don't forget there is a variety of cherry that isn't red!The name I am thinking of is "Rainier"which is yellowish/pink with pale flesh and soooooo sweet.Take a fruit and a leaf to your garden centre or even a helpful fruit shop.
I was always told that any fruit that a bird would eat is safe to eat, this advice has served me well for a long, long time!
P.S. a cherry leaf is far bigger than a plum.What do any neighbours say about this fruit!

deathrockboy, Jan 21, 8:40pm
Post a photo of the branch with fruit. Then it would be very easy to tell you if it was a plum or a cherry or something inedible.

lythande1, Feb 2, 5:48pm
What leaves! Cherry have very different leaves to plums. Or it's neither.pic would help.