Cherry tree question

love.a.bargain, Jan 19, 7:54pm
With these cherry trees, what determines whether they grow upright or 'upside down' (in a weeping fashion).I have about 6 of these trees and some are weeping and some upright.

malone4, Jan 19, 7:59pm
as in training which way it grows!
if this is what you mean then you prune the branch's which are growing into the centre of the trunk is one technique.

love.a.bargain, Jan 19, 8:05pm
One seedling I have grown over the last 12 months has automatically become a weeping tree and other seedlings I have now are growing like ordinary trees.

annies3, Jan 19, 8:10pm
Seedlings will do whatever happens in the genetics they inherit from their parents, pretty much like one child might have curly hair and another sibling straight, there is nothing you can do to make them weep, by way of pruning, good on you for growing them the straight trees might have spectacular colour it will be exciting waiting for their first flowering.

malone4, Jan 19, 8:12pm
interesting. had your weeping tree been tipped at any stage maybe!

so was i right with identifying #1 and 2 ya think!

love.a.bargain, Jan 19, 8:53pm
Thank you - interesting stuff!And, yes, it will be exciting waiting for their first flowering.They grow so FAST!

love.a.bargain, Jan 19, 8:53pm
No the tree hasn't been tipped at all.

Nope, 2 if definitely not the same as 1.

love.a.bargain, Jan 19, 8:55pm
No. 2 is a Gladitsia so I am told and No. 1 a cherry.

malone4, Jan 19, 9:41pm
sorry i meant #3.lol.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 20, 2:00am
some cherry varieties have a naturally weeping form, some have a naturally upright form, some have a bushy, low, fat form, some have a tall thin form . depends on variety.Further to this, the weeping cherries are usually bought grafted onto an upright variety 2m up, which is why they suddenly start growing downwards.Often some forms need to have small heavy bags with rocks on them tied to the ends of the branches for a year or 2, in order to ensure they grow downwards enough, in the fashion desired.There are many different types.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 29, 10:16pm