Cherry tree fruiting but not ripening?

_peas, Dec 20, 10:08pm
My house has a fairly large cherry tree (about 5m tall and the same diameter) and every year now (3 years been here) has fruited well all over the place but the fruit never ripens fully. Some just drops off when it is only approx 10mm diameter and definitely not ripe (I tasted it!) Any ideas on what I can do to get it sorted for next year? The wife just spent $36/kilo on cherries, so this has now been put firmly on my gardening radar!

maclad, Dec 20, 11:44pm
Not being sarcastic here but, are you sure it is a fruiting and not a flowering cherry. Sounds just like what a flowering cherry does. Did you plant it or did it come with your house? Fruiting cherries also prefer a cold climate and won't do well in warmer climates.

_peas, Dec 21, 12:02am
I was aware of the whole cooler climate thing but thought it may do better than what it was. And no sarcasm taken, I wasn't actually aware of a flowering cherry tree, seems a little pointless to me when you could just plant a fruiting one and get the blossoms anyway. Thanks for the reply though. I look at it as not quite the asset that I thought it was now.

maclad, Dec 21, 1:01am
The blossom on flowering cherry trees is far more ornate than on fruiting ones, hence the point of planting them, they are beautiful. Sorry you were unaware but sounds like what you have.

cronezone, Jul 3, 7:57am
I had a similar problem,but rather than just dropping off,the cherries used to shrivel up & then fall off.
I wondered at the time whether it could be a flowering cherry but the blossom didn't look quite the same - just plain (by comparison) smallish flowers.
It wasn't until we had a long spell of wet weather & actual cherries as a result that I realised the problem was lack of water,so maybe try giving the tree a bucket or two of water each day in case that's the trouble.