Cherry Tree question

yuuhoo, Jul 27, 2:59am
I planted a stella cherry tree a couple of years ago. The main branch died, but then another branch grew up out of the ground. does this mean I will no longer be able to grow cherries from this tree?

maclad, Jul 27, 3:55am
Sounds as if the rootstock is growing and it is unlikely any fruit it may produce will be much good.

yuuhoo, Jul 27, 3:58am
That's what I thought. I wanted to check before I dig the tree out.

edenrose, Jul 27, 4:09am
You should be able to tell (by feel, if not visible) if the growth is above or below the graft. Another option if it is below is to graft the tree with another stone fruit cutting, eg plum, peach etc. Might be worth while trying, you would know if it worked within a few weeks. Plenty of info on Youtube.

katelin1, Jul 27, 9:04pm
Um. A plum or peach variety won't be compatible with a cherry rootstock.

edenrose, Jul 28, 11:23am
Yes it will. The only problem is if you try to graft fruit trees with seeds in such as apples, pears, citrus, they will actually graft onto each other. Stone fruits graft onto each other really easily including onto almond trees. A lot of fruit trees are actually grafted onto wild plum trees, that is self sown ones. See on Youtube for instructions.

katelin1, Nov 10, 6:45am
That's not always true. Some plums are compatible with peach rootstocks, but I'm not aware of any other types of stonefruit being compatible with cherry rootstock. They are all 'Prunus' but are not closely enough related to be compatible.