Would you put fruit trees

allenj2, Nov 15, 6:44am
Straight into horse poo, partly composted will it kill the plants!

red2, Nov 15, 6:50am
I wouldn't risk it - buy a couple of fert tabs to pop in when planting instead

samanya, Nov 15, 8:03am
I wouldn't, but a few sheep pellets in the planting hole & maybe some horse poo around them after planting!

fleur59, Nov 16, 12:58am
the horse poo will have too much nitrogen on its own, should be old and composted , if the horses have been eating a lot of grass with seed heads, you will get lots of new weeds in your garden too.

wasgonna, Nov 16, 1:04am
I wouldn't plant directly in the poo but can be spread around the plant above soil and will gradually feed. NOT against the trunk but slightly out from.

As a kid if a horse made a deposit on the road near the house I had to collect in a bucket and the old man would spread around the base of his roses.

samanya, Nov 16, 6:18am
Thanks, you clarified what I meant .put the horse sh** around on top of the soil after planting, not it the hole.
It's good stuff, full of weeds but he, what does that matter if the fruit trees like it!

mrfxit, Nov 16, 10:12pm
Dig the hole 30cm deeper then needed/ place 10cm of poo in the bottom, (pack it in tight)/ cover with soil up to the correct height & plant tree.

That way it won't effect the 2st stage of roots but the ground water will bring up some of the nutrients & over time the main roots will reach the fert

spiritofgonzo, Nov 5, 9:48pm
perfect - was just about to say this.