What's in your veggie garden right now?

Page 2 / 6
bugin, Nov 15, 10:16am
Milk bottles are great mini glass houses .I cut a hole in the top of the handle and poke a short bamboo down the side to stop them blowing away.We have 40 at the last count .Birds cant get in those plant guards.

littlemissy1, Nov 15, 5:11pm
That's a good idea bugin! I have just been using drink bottles which are great but have to push them down so they stay there. Will have to stop recycling my milk bottles lol

shabbychic8, Nov 15, 8:46pm
I actually read on here ages ago that they can be used as upside down planters, but I've never tried it

littlemissy1, Nov 15, 10:49pm
Yes i seen something about that too.I wasn't sure how it would work (as in wouldnt the water drain out the plant hole and drench the plant!). I went to mitre 10 today and I couldnt find the buckets so hopefully they will get some more in but I got some trays, bargain at $2.20 each.and they are longer than the usual ones.

shabbychic8, Nov 16, 12:06am
The Warehouse normally has the cheap buckets

I don't think the water would drain out any worse than a pot with a saucer would.

I have no idea - I could be talking out of my a$$ since I haven't actually done it before

edwards12, Nov 16, 12:17am
Rhubarb , garlic, green beans , peas , broad beans ,celery , potatoes , 4 types tomatoes , basil , red onions, carrots, radishes,lettuces2 types , brown onions ,beetroot,spring onions, parsnips , strawberries and some weeds . awesome love summer gardening

shabbychic8, Nov 16, 9:16pm
I do too. There is no real winter garden down here because it's so cold, so summer is the time when I really get to do the thing I love before the weather turns to crap again !

longday, Nov 18, 6:03am
Lettuce, chives, corriander, mint, peas, blueberries, raspberry, blackberry, strawberries, gooseberry, chilean guavas, black currant, red currant, white currant, Feijoa, Maqui berries, 7 different types of chillies and a pepino all in pots in a small backyard

gaspodetwd, Nov 18, 6:20am
4 types of lettuce, three types of tomatoes, cucumbers, spring onions, red and brown onions, radishes, leeks, pumpkin and squash, potatoes, broad beans, mange tout, peas, beetroot, garlic, strawberries, lots of herbs!
And apples(10 types), oranges, lemons, grapes, boysenberries, tayberries, loganberries, peaches, nectarines, figs, pears, apricots, plums( 4 types) feijoas, nz cranberries, cherries, kiwiberries.
I love this time of year!

rachiem, Nov 18, 7:45am
I love my vege garden :)

Potatoes (2 types), carrots, peas, radish's, salad greens, silver beet, beetroot, tomatoes (3 types) cabbage, cali, broccoli, capsicum, chilli, cucumber, garlic, onions, parsley, mint, lemons, grapes and a very small fejoa tree.

Ive just bought seeds so they are to go in next. Corn, rainbow carrots and tomatoes, gem lettuce, zuchinni, onions (long keepers) gherkins, brussel sprouts, water melon and cape gooseberry.

That should keep my busy. Not sure how Im going to fit them all in, some will be successive sowing, when other crops come out.

rachiem, Nov 18, 7:47am
Wow, you must have super slugs where you are :(

jhan, Nov 18, 9:03am
skite!

littlemissy1, Nov 18, 5:58pm
How did the sawdust go fiona! I went out the other night and got heaps of the little buggers.just didnt know what to do with them once I got them lol

shabbychic8, Nov 18, 8:29pm
My veggie beds are all mulched fully in sawdust so I am hoping it has a god effect!

mrfxit, Nov 18, 10:26pm
"What's in your veggie garden right now!"

Cat & dog poo plus a good crop of weeds, NOTHING that a good digging over can't cure

shabbychic8, Nov 18, 10:43pm
Bahahaha. Love it.

littlemissy1, Nov 18, 11:33pm
Wow jarjarbinks, that is awesome! You must spend a lot of time in your garden.how many are you feeding! Hehehe. I brought this fabulous book awhile back called "Planted Junk", has lots of very cool ideas in it just like in your pics.very VERY good book if anyone is interested. Gives you great ideas for recycling all sorts of things into a potted paradise.

littlemissy1, Nov 18, 11:36pm
Well make sure you come back and tell us as I am very interested in knowing. I am loving this thread so will be sticking around =)

jarjarbinks01, Nov 19, 1:07am
Littlemissy--There are just the 2 of us here at home now--but I have 5 rabbits who love their greens--a solo mum niece with 4 children I gice veges to--and a couple of neighbours too--plus my Mum and Dad--altho this year my sister and i filled up Dad's garden too cos he's not able to get out there any more--then there's my son and his partner--plus I freeze some for the winter months--but there's just nothing like watching the plants grow--and I've just pulled my flower gardens to bits and replanted those too.

poce, Nov 19, 1:39am
Great looking garden.

littlemissy1, Nov 19, 2:04am
You sound a bit like me.although my place is rented so I cant go as crazy as I would like. I only have small gardens but I'm very creative with them and use lots of pots to add to it. I plant way too much but any extra gets given away or taken to local charity. I also pass on extra plants that I have grown and can't fit in my garden on the recycle sites.

shabbychic8, Nov 19, 2:37am
Yes I will - I didn't actually use sawdust for that reason (I was lucky enough to score a dozen bags on Freecycle) but I am hoping that it also keeps the snails at bay. Last year they munched my salad greens to the ground!

shabbychic8, Nov 19, 2:38am
I love the photos. You have a very cool working garden - that's the kind I like!

littlemissy1, Nov 19, 6:22am
They devoured my beans and then my banana capsicum seedlings, the egg shells worked some what but now I go out by torch light and nab them *evil laugh* maybe I need to find some sawdust!

shabbychic8, Nov 19, 7:13am
what is banana capsicum!!!!