Tricks to painting wallpaper

rak1, Oct 18, 9:26pm
I have a wall which is wallpapered and I want to paint it. The paper is in very good condition with sound edges but the colour scheme is a bit dated. What preperation if any should I give it. The other thing I dont know is whether or not it is vinyl coated, does this make a difference to the paint I use. Many thanks in advance for suggestions.

rainrain1, Oct 19, 12:59am
It needs to be clean from grease and dust, then apply two top coats of a low sheen waterbased paint straight on to the paper, that should do the trick.No need to undercoat unless maybe you are going from very dark to light. OK if it's vinyl

fordkiwi27, Oct 19, 1:52am
if its a vinyl you cant overcoat straight with low sheen. if unsure use resene wallpaper sealer,an enamel undercoat,coverstain etc.then 2 coats low sheen acrylic.

tigra, Oct 19, 2:05am
I've only ever used a cheap undercoat and a couple of acrylic top coats - low sheen

gregmran, Oct 19, 6:42am
The trick. strip the wallpaper off and do it properly.

ayjay1, Oct 19, 7:01pm
+1 If you are not sure it is vinyl paper apply as above. otherwise your acrylic
will not stick. learned that the hard way LOL

jkp58, Oct 19, 7:45pm
To test to see if it may be a vinyl paper just wet it if the water is not absorbed in to the paper it will be a vinyl.Next test area with the paint you are using if it remains very sticky when dry you will have to seal with resenes vinyl wallpaper sealer.If you dont the paint can remain sticky forever.Bad news around light switches

kateley, Oct 19, 7:49pm
I think if you possibly can, strip the paper.
This house was freshly painted over wallpaper when we bought it, it didn't take long for the joins to become obvious and it needed stripping and painting again.
I would have preferred to buy with the paper unpainted (if I had the choice) so I could have done a proper job

liamjosh, Oct 20, 10:30pm
Agreed, this house has been all painted over paper and we are slowly going through process of stripping, skim coating and painting. Much nicer finish. Do it right the first time saves a lot of time and money in the future.

teejay20, Oct 20, 10:40pm
Hi I have painted 2 flats and used ZINNER 123 straight over wallpaper.Was recommended by the people selling paint.Didn't even wash the walls or ceiling just straight over.Found out after first flat doesn't cover FLY POO.Then paint with oil or water base paint as normal hpoe this helps

amasser, Oct 20, 11:59pm
A decorating expert advised NEVER to paint over wallpaper but admitted that 95% of people would ignore that advice.

singing1, Oct 21, 8:35am
FIRST paint it with oil based pigmented sealer so the moisture from the next coat wont penetrate the wallpaper and lift it off.

harrislucinda, Oct 21, 8:46am
yes i havedone2bedroomspaintedover wall paper
and asabovepaint with asealerfirstmayneed2coatsthenmain colourhad no problems

rak1, Oct 22, 1:16am
Just a question about the first coat. Would not the first coat (be it acrylic or oil based) seal the paper so that further moisture could not affect or induce lifting of the paper!

rojill, Oct 22, 2:44am
Just do the job properly.
It will always look like a "cheap paint over wallpaper" job.
Forget about the lazy mans way and remove the old paper, skim coat the gib if necessary , seal then paint.
You will end up putting value on the house rather than cheapening it.

zak410, Oct 22, 3:03am
Yes, that's one reason why you need a sealer first, oil based being better, but smellier too (open windows !)

brighteyes16, Oct 22, 7:39am
All good advise, I'm a professionalPainter / Decorator so may be able to shed more light on the subject
You say the paper is sound soI will not go into the merits of stripping,which can sometimes create more work than necessary, especially if it is difficult to remove without damaging the wall lining .Although taking the paper off usually offers the best finish. I would be inclined to test a small area to see how easy it comes off
Non vinyl papers (wettable) can simply be given an acrylic sealer /undercoat with some black tinters in it to help obliterate the pattern followed by two top coats.
With vinyl paper you're best to use an alkyd (oil based) flat or zinsser cover stainwhich will take the acrylic top coats, again tinting to help coverage and given time to cure. Acrylic undercoat can be used but doesn't adhere as well to vinylsResene do make a propriety vinyl sealer but is practically transparent and I have neverfound it necessary.
Bear in mind thatpainting over wallpaper can show up any defects which were hidden by the unpainted paper.
FinallyIt may be money well spent to get a professional in, Somebody who knows what they are doing and can best advise as to your particular situation.

All the best.

tigra, Oct 22, 7:50am
Then again it may not be money well spent, in fact it may simply be a waste of hard earned cash.

zak410, Oct 22, 8:16am
best to seal it all first, then check + fill imperfections, spot seal those, then paint.

guest, May 9, 2:11pm
first timer applying vinyl wallpaper sealer and finding this difficult, Im not sure if I've done this right. Help Plz!