Cracked shower tray

needmoretime, Jan 7, 10:43pm
Thought I would update this thread

It turns out it was the shower tray, not the plumber at all.The tray had become 'detached' from it's base (was glued to a mdf base) and therefore had flex causing it to fail.

Supplier is providing new tray, lining and paying for re install.I must say I am nervous about having the same supplier provide a replacement but he swears it's a one off and it should not occur again.(here's hoping).

aredwood, Jan 7, 11:01pm
Glad to hear it is getting fixed for free.

mrfxit, Jan 7, 11:13pm
Prep & fill the old tray area with a thick coat of fiberglass

favouriteseller, Dec 18, 10:32pm
it does look thin but it would of been ok with adequate support underneath,
after 20 years my tray has cracked as well,missing support in certain place, its about the same thickness as your one
I am going to buy a tray with a foam bottom so the whole tray is supported

if the plumber had supplied it, it would of been up to him to sort it out
I would of thought the instalation would of been better suited for a builder rather than a plumber
I think probably onus on the plumber as he accepted the job , if the plumber was not 100% sure on how to install.
he should of sugested a builder to do it,

les6, Dec 19, 4:00am
ask for the `knee trembler special `when you re-order!

needmoretime, Dec 19, 4:36am
lol!love the humour.I'm trembling at the thought of another tray to be honest.Getting info or in fact even getting items and the correct items at that was such a mission in the first place.Then this!

sirdc, Dec 19, 5:09am
Our tray has a soft sunken spot. Is there anyway to replace the tray without having the rip the entire shower to bits!It is on a concrete floor so can't get at it from underneath

steptoe72, Dec 19, 6:02am
I'd say person who fitted it never built a centre base for it . whats the Kg rating of the shower tray!.supported and nonsupported. Me thinking you brought a cheaper unit, and fitter fitted it the easiest way. $20 more worth of timber and say 1/2 hour work and this would not have happen.Maker of unit I feel would say the same.

lazeeboy, Dec 19, 6:08am

lazeeboy, Dec 19, 6:08am

steptoe72, Dec 19, 6:09am
All comes back to person who fitted it

favouriteseller, Dec 19, 6:32am
can't say for sure , probably best to get a free quote from a builder

sirdc, Dec 19, 6:44am
No idea how it was fitted. Was done by the builder or the previous owners. We never stood in the shower to pick up this issue when we moved in.
Live and learn.

favouriteseller, Dec 19, 6:48am
well its only a small problem , if the tray is ok , it would be cheaper to get it fixed now than buying a new one if it cracks, which it probably will do in time

needmoretime, Dec 19, 11:25am
Floor was built by builders, not plumber and checked level etc before installing tray.After going to the local hardware store and comparing the tray (for the same price we paid for this one btw) it's rather thin!Extrememly thin.Plumber has been doing his job for over 20 years.Never had this happen before.Does anyone know if there is a NZ standard on shower tray thickness's for acrylic trays!We went to the website but it's lengthy, so phoned them and got told to download the catalogue - only 500 odd pages worth of NZ standards! lol.

As for sirdc - we've been told it involves a full removal of the doors, tray and wall linings and a full re install.Once the tray is stuffed - it's stuffed!Good luck with that.

bluecat1529, Dec 19, 5:28pm
What brand is it needmoretime!

rarogirl1, Dec 19, 9:10pm
needmoretime have you considered claiming insurance! Or you could get someone to fibreglass it, would probably be a cheaper option.The problem with a full reinstall is that trying to get the liner of the walls without cracking it.Builders dont usually install shower trays plumbers do.

elect70, Dec 20, 4:25am
Take plumber to disputes,its only way .if supplier wontreplace citingplumbers ultimatly responsible for installation even if itsthincrapmanufacture .

dmjbuild1, Dec 20, 7:45am
for what it's worth, if it was installed to the required specification's which should have been included with the tray then the fault lies with the manufacturer. if the plumber has deviated from them then it's on him. as far as using englefield spec's that means nothing as your not compering apples with apples as engilefield have a ply base inside their acrylic trays which make them a lot more self supporting which allows you to have a larger cut out for the waste although less is best.

aredwood, Oct 18, 8:42pm
Problem is though, since you supplied it and no instructions came with it how will you prove it wasn't installed properly! You have said that the plumber followed the Englefield instructions which will make it harder to prove that the plumber was negligent. I recommend that you make a joint claim against both the plumber and the tray supplier. You might need to pay for an independent builder or plumber to uninstall the whole shower, and document how it was installed. So you have evidence for a DT claim. If neither want to come back and fix it.

For things like this it is always better to get the same person to both supply and install. Therefore if problems occur they can't pass the buck.

And check that guarantees will cover the cost of removal and installation. Otherwise the plumber could prove he installed the tray correctly. The tray supplier might say "we will honor our guarantee which is to supply you with a new tray or refund the purchase price." Which will mean that you will still have to pay for the removal and reinstallation - not fun.