Why are my bougainvillea leaves going limp and

clivehell, Sep 7, 11:56pm
falling off.It is only a small one at the moment,about 2 mitres long but it has flowered and was looking quite good,but.
I was told they are hardy so I didn't give it anything,and it was coming
on,but now looks like its dying.should I cut right back and see what
happens or buy another one? I put it against a corrugated high fence
so it wouldn't get too much wind,we get a lot at Kaitaia.Its on a slight slope so the water runs off quite well.
thanks for any ideas.

mm12345, Sep 8, 12:50am
Perhaps just seasonal. We had a couple of varieties growing in our Chch Port Hills garden (few frosts), one behaved like a deciduous - would lose all it's leaves by the end of winter, then sprout away in late spring. The other was more hardy, but would only flower over summer. Obviously a lot warmer in Kaitaia, but still not tropical - which is where these plants are from.
The hardy one we had was evil - it grew like a weed and had very sharp back-angled thorns, presumably with a toxin on them. If you got hooked by one of the thorns, then it would hurt like hell and ache for hours. It had to go - and it took some killing. The other had "soft" thorns that weren't a problem, and grew to have a trunk about 6 inches across and had grown about 15 feet high. Unfortunately it was snapped at the base in an EQ related accident. It's started to sprout again from the stump.

jenny188, Oct 5, 1:03pm
Three most common reasons you've just about covered, Cold - wet feet-cold winds, and the forth- too dry = plant stress. Watch and see if she perks up over spring.