Secret of growing carrots?

meoldchina, Oct 17, 4:09am
What is the secret to growing decent carrots from seed?
I have tried Manchester Table and carrot seed tapes and have had problems with both. Problems such as, carrots splitting, pale colours and small size.
Any advice will be gratefully received.

johotech, Oct 17, 4:15am
Deep soil preparation is all that is needed for carrots. If you can't grow carrots, you may as well concrete over your garden and buy some patio furniture.

marte, Oct 17, 5:41am
Only 1 in 4 are any good. Its because of genetics.
Big-small & no colour-orange.

One in four comes out big and orange. Take this into account and plant far too many and weed out the small white ones early.

grouch, Oct 17, 6:50am
I always grow Tuscon and dont have a problem. Make sure your soil is not hard and its nice and soft. Dont put manure where you intend planting as that will make the carrots go all forked and twisted. After you put the seed in keep it moist. Spray with a mister. You will have nice carrots in no time at all.

meoldchina, Oct 17, 7:14am
I thought I was doing the right thing by putting horse manure into the soil in my veggie garden. I won't do that in the carrot patch in future. Thanks for the replies.

vomo2, Oct 17, 7:51am
Mix the seed with radish seed. The radish pops up quickly showing where the rows are. Then eventually pull the radish out, that way it thins out the carrots.

books4nz, Oct 17, 8:51am
I had trouble growing them too - then made a new area of garden, dug it deeply so the soil was very fine, didn't stand on it so the soil stayed fine and loose. sowed my seeds and kept them lightly damp. and voila. my first great crop of carrots.

daves01, Aug 29, 11:49am
I used to have trouble too - I had loaded my carrot bed up with all of my homemade compost thinking that everything else like it so why wouldn't carrots. Not a good idea.
So next time I just did as above, dug it deeply, forked it over a lot so they could grow deep without any obstructions. And kept my bloody cats off them as they love loose fine soil!