Glass top hobs water access

maclad, Sep 7, 3:40am
My daughter is in a HNZ house and everytime a pot boils over water gets into/under the element switches which causes the circuit breaker to flip and, I guess, fuses to blow. I feel these switches/controls should have some sort of watertight seal underneath to prevent this as water often boils over on stove tops, a normal thing in kitchens. Any thoughts on this please as she will be paying repair bills for years to come. There are currently no rubber seals or anything else to prevent the passage of water under these switches. I also feel this could be a safety issue as last time I was there it happened and the switch went with a big bang and a flash.

stampy5, Sep 7, 3:53am
I have no idea about the hobs but couple of years ago at a home show got silicone pot covers which are now also sold at the Warehouse and have never from the time I started using them had a single pot boil over. Just awesome.

maclad, Sep 7, 3:57am
Sounds like an idea but I would still like to know should water be able to get under controls. Thanks.

carter19, Sep 7, 5:08am
Have you contacted the hob manufacturer?

homebay, Sep 8, 8:32pm
This is a very bad design fault.
Had this happen to us - was xmas eve & son in law (staying) woke us at midnight to the smell of the wiring burning. Did not set off the fire alarm so sat up half the night watching and NO Stove! Fortunately went to son's
place for xmas dinner! Had it fixed but when it happened again we replaced it. We tried to contact the manufacturer but had no joy.
Maybe your daughter should approach HNZ,

maclad, Oct 6, 6:17am
Well we had a good outcome once the sparky arrived to fix things. He took one look at both oven and hob and both will be replaced by the end of the week. They are so old, decrepit and the oven has no seals and holes in it.