Want to plant a tree - Advice needed please :)

redlippy1, Nov 6, 10:06pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/423839563.jpg

We bought this house around 8 weeks ago and it is needing lots of love as it has been quite neglected. Our front lawn is quite big and I want to plant a tree that will eventually get quite big. I am hoping for a fastish growing one and need some ideas please. I would love a Pohutakawa but dont think they are very fast growing! The house will be painted half masala over summer hopefully. Any suggestions welcomed please.

floydandu2, Nov 6, 10:33pm
Might I suggest you look at a deciduous tree? That spot looks very sunny, and you want to try and keep those in the middle of winter. Otherwise it you turn the whole yard (or your neighbours') into a depressing, cold zone.

shanreagh, Nov 7, 1:00am
What about a flowering cherry?

bluefrog2, Nov 7, 1:28am
Fruit trees?

lythande1, Nov 7, 1:47am
Fast trees are called weeds.
be patient. or if you must start off with big, bu=y a large tree to begin with.

morticia, Nov 7, 1:59am
We have a lovely, late deciduous, fast growing Shahtoot mulberry that is a nice open spreading form and gives lovely shade. Not huge at about 6 or 7 metres, a good size for a suburban section. Shame the fruit is really only ornamental.

kaydee16, Nov 7, 2:00am
Silk Tree could look nice.

maclad, Nov 7, 3:36am
gleditzia or Robinia both decidious and both fast and both with yellow leaves

venna2, Nov 7, 3:56am
That's what I'd recommend. What's the use of a tree unless you can eat the produce . Since I moved about seven years ago, I've planted feijoa trees, plum trees, a pear tree and a quince tree. A mixture of evergreen and deciduous.

I should add that I also planted a kowhai . blossoms and tuis .

ruby2shoes, Nov 7, 4:49am
why not go for a walk in your area and see what trees you like - especially at this time of year. Venna2's idea is a goodie.

tui93, Nov 7, 4:50am
Melia - lovely shade, deciduous.

ferrit47, Nov 8, 12:37am
When you dig the hole .
Put Tree in The hole & put a mixture of soil & sheep manure in with water & it will give the tree a good start. Needs lots of water each day.

music_note, Nov 10, 12:19pm
What side of your house is the lawn? North, South. knowing that can help with suggestions.

punkinthefirst, Nov 10, 12:33pm
Might I suggest that you wait til next winter. That way, your tree will have a chance to get its feeder roots growing into the soil before the dry weather comes, and you won't have to cosset it so much.
Also, don't do what I did, and plant a tree over your sewer line. A few years on, and the tree had to be removed and the sewer line replaced (at large expense). after the tree roots blocked the damn sewer pipe and the yard flooded with the contents. not nice, LOL.

figjamto, Nov 14, 7:56am
+ 1

They do take a few years to fully mature but are worth the wait. a friend of mine has a similar looking house to yours and has one on the lawn and looks lovely In flower. I use to live in an old villa with three (protected) Pohutakawa trees growing close to the house, not a good idea IMO. it put me off them for life.

peri5, Nov 15, 4:02am
Silk trees are showy but prone to wind damage. Deciduous. Grow quickly but easily pruned when dormant to keep them tidy. They drop flowers and leaves so best on a lawn. There are dark pink or pale pink versions. Love mine - 8 yrs old and as high as the house!

pharmerblue, Nov 15, 2:29pm
Consider the views outside your windows - how much of your view/what parts do you want blocked/privacy? Consider a number of large shrubs that you can position more effectively.
Consider lawn mowing - check that the tree doesn't produce large seed pods, etc, that may cause mowing problems.
Asthma/allergies - some trees produce lots of pollen.
Consider the height it will grow to and whether it will drop lots of leaves - wind can blow leaves over the roof blocking guttering and causing overflow. Do you want to be up a ladder clearing gutters?
Look at the other large trees in your neighbourhood - where does the shade lie at different times of the day? How will shade affect your house.
How might a large tree affect your neighbours regarding the above - (leaves blown over their lawn/guttering, pollen, shade, etc)
Most importantly check how it will affect underground pipes and overhead power lines.
This may seem obvious but check where your boundary meets council berm and what potential problems a large tree might cause there.
Consider severe storms - what if the tree topples over? Will it damage your house? Broken branches can damage parked cars.
A large tree is a fairly permanent structure. Will you be requiring that large flat space in future for extensions, granny flat, carport, garage, driveway, etc.
Hope this helps.

..pip.., Jul 30, 5:42pm
I hate my silk tree. Constant fine pollen all over the cars on the driveway.