How to cut inside and outside mitres for scotia?

mtbotrev, Aug 16, 9:53am
Hi. 2moros job is to do this. did an okay job of skirting and architrave today in entrance way. Scotia is the standard size vertical down from ceiling , radius curve and horizontal back to wall.

I have drop saw(cheap. and coping saw) and have tried various ways to get the nitres right but really struggling on the inside one(yet to try the outside as well but think I have an idea(seems to be place it how it sies against ceiling but in saw?)). and how to then scribe the curve to hit the square end on the inside. have looked at various videos on youtube but none seem to feature this scotia.

Any advice please?

tweake, Aug 16, 10:17am
i'm a bit rusty on it.
you only have to cut one of the ends, cut it 45 degree angle, then cut vertically with timber horizontal and follow the paint edge.

stevo2, Aug 16, 7:47pm
Exterior mitre is just a 45 degree cut. Easy as.
Place it in the saw as it would sit when in place.
Interior mitre is a bit more difficult as its not a mitre at all, its scribed.
Fit 1st piece into place cut 90 degrees full length.
Cut 2nd piece as you would if you were doing an interior mitre, then, using a coping saw, cut the point where the saw cut meets the uncut scotia.
Easier to do than to try and describe.
Practice on some offcuts first.
Search UTUBE as there will be vids on there. The yanks call it Crown molding.
Even if the scotia is different, the method will be the same.

mtbotrev, Aug 16, 8:31pm
x1
Thanx Stevo2. I will give it a go shortly. I think as you said important part is to set it to cut as it will be in ceiling. that was where I was going wrong.

Had looked at the Crown moulding clips to get general idea but even on video its unclear what angle goes where!.

Thanx also tweake for replying.

skipper42, Aug 16, 10:42pm
x2
Cutting inside and outside mitres for scotia can definitely be a tricky task, especially if you're new to it. However, with the right tools and techniques, you should be able to achieve a clean and precise cut.

Firstly, when it comes to cutting mitres for scotia, it's important to have the right tools. While a coping saw can be useful for some jobs, a drop saw with a mitre saw attachment is generally the best option for cutting accurate and clean mitres. You'll also need a protractor or mitre gauge to set the angle of the cut.

When it comes to cutting the inside mitre, the trick is to first hold the scotia in place against the ceiling and mark where the cut needs to be made. It's best to make the cut a little longer than the mark to allow for a bit of adjustment. Set your drop saw to the correct angle and make the cut.

To scribe the curve, hold the scotia in place against the wall and mark where the curve needs to be. Then, use a compass or flexible curve ruler to transfer the curve onto the scotia. You can then use a fine saw or a sharp utility knife to carefully cut along the curve.

For the outside mitre, the process is similar, but the scotia needs to be held in place against the adjacent piece of trim instead of the ceiling. Mark where the cut needs to be made, set your drop saw to the correct angle, and make the cut. You can then scribe the curve onto the scotia using the same process as for the inside mitre.

Overall, the key to cutting precise and clean mitres for scotia is to take your time, use the right tools, and make sure you're holding the scotia in place correctly before making the cut. With a bit of practice and patience, you'll be able to achieve great results! Good luck with your project tomorrow!

krames, Aug 17, 7:28am
just remember internals have long point at bottom.

Hold your piece the way its going to go on the wall/ceiling and mark your angles ie long point at bottom at 45 deg.

flip it upside down so the top of the scotia (bit that will be on the ceiling) goes on the base of the saw not the fence ie opposite of where it would normally sit and cut your two 45s then flip it back and fix to wall.

This is what you asked ie internal mitres, as stevo2 said about scribing is a better method .

mtbotrev, Aug 17, 8:09am
Thanx everyone. All done. Some good some not so good. In the end I just scribed all the internals(6) with no drop saw cuts and used saw for the two externals I had. Got a bit confused with the externals but practised few times. Confirmed that house doesn't have many true walls so some no more gaps will be needed as two 45s didn't make the clean join.

Only bad thing was I forgot my ear muffs for last 5 cuts as I was tired so ears are ringing a bit :>(

So three doors, 15m of scotia in 8 lenghts and about 15m of skirting later its nearly ready for plastering(by an expert to hide some gib errors). been an interesting experience for first timer.

I prefer painting!

captaingraham, Aug 17, 9:06am
No earmuffs and ringing ears leads to tinnitus in the future. You don't want that !

j96, Aug 17, 9:28am
is it that curved gib type stuff? theres a special angle guide thingy you have to buy

marte, Aug 17, 11:42am
Yeah, you can shut your eyes, but you cannot shut your ears.

marte, Aug 17, 11:48am
Actually I have been shown a way to get around all this mitreing.

One peice of molding goes (inside) from one end to the other of the inside part of the wall. 90deg cut at each end.
Your next peice of molding, you cut as you normally would.
Then use a coping saw to excavate all the wood from behind the front edge of the molding.
You put that peice of molding up in place (it should be 1mm or 2mm too long)
Now push the molding against the wall.
Now take a boxcutter knife and run it down the curved edge of the molding, cutting into the full lengths molding face.
At that point the thin edge of the excavated molding pops into the cut you made with the boxcutter knife and it looks perfect!

budgel, Aug 17, 10:37pm
Eh? SPEAK UP!

budgel, Aug 17, 10:38pm
That sounds like a variation on scribing to me.

mm12345, Aug 17, 11:56pm
I put up 140m of scotia to finish off a full re-clad on our house. 1962 build, nothing perfectly square. I had a builder and apprentice on site, skilled experienced LBP and apprentice, the conversation about who was going to do that job was rather brief - and nope - they definitely didn't want to do it either.
More or less all internal joins were three-way, with a scotia trim dropping down from soffit along window/door reveals/frames. I didn't use a drop-saw - it would have been more effort lugging it around up and down scaffold etc than it would have saved in time.
Looks great - and had to be done - but a very nasty job to do.

mtbotrev, Aug 18, 7:03am
Yup. normally very safety conscious but was tired and rushing last few cuts. I even wear a bike helmet when hedge pruning and up high ladders!

marte, Aug 18, 9:48am
x1
Sounds right. I'm not a carpenter. I saw someone doing this and then he turned around and did another while teaching the 3 of us how to do it.
It was 100% perfect.

mndy1, Aug 21, 10:40am
Better homes and gardens had this tip the other day. I didnt see it properly but he sort of hollowed out one end to fit over the other.

mtbotrev, Oct 20, 2:44pm
Looks good now that plasterer has been in. hid all my mistakes. Painting starts next weekend.