How to kill canna lilies?

mony8, Nov 3, 6:47pm
I am wondering if these lilies are unable to be irradicated? I have used roundup on a huge patch, but they are coming up almost daily!
I have dug a great clump out, BUT still they keep coming up!

thank you for any advise in advance.
mony8

wine-o-clock, Nov 3, 7:07pm
I am about to plant 3 different varieties. maybe i should contain them in something?

mony8, Nov 3, 7:17pm
I would, my ones are in an old garden , just the plain orange ones, but they are coming up everywhere and very prolific.
mony8

shanreagh, Nov 3, 7:34pm
x1
While Roundup may be an effective weed killer, it's not the best choice when it comes to protecting your canna lilies. If you want to keep these beautiful plants healthy and thriving, stick to more natural methods of weed control, like hand weeding or using mulch. Your canna lilies - and the environment - will thank you!

Pros of Roundup:
- It's effective. If you're trying to get rid of weeds around your canna lilies, Roundup will do the job.
- It's easy to use. Just spray it on the offending weeds and watch them wither away.
- It's widely available. You can find Roundup at pretty much any garden center or home improvement store.

Cons of Roundup:
- It's not selective. Roundup will kill any plant it comes into contact with, not just weeds. So if you accidentally spray your canna lilies, they'll be toast.
- It's toxic. Roundup contains glyphosate, a chemical that's been linked to cancer and other health problems in humans and animals.
- It's not environmentally friendly. When you spray Roundup, the chemicals can leach into the soil and water, potentially harming wildlife and contaminating our natural resources.

timazgirl, Nov 5, 9:09am
Defintely. Once you have them they will come up everywhere time and time again. Grrrr

skin1235, Nov 5, 9:15am
use a woody weed killer but you have to spray for a few years, all the young bulbs in the ground do not all push through in their first year, digging is the worst thing, they grow again from the smallest sliver left behind

goodbooks, Aug 8, 7:14am
I gave away three large clumps of canna's through Freestuff - 'come and dig them out and take away for free'. the people did all the digging, and took away a ute load, plus the back of a 4x4 vehicle. Only a couple of pieces regrew, and were then easy to take out.