Kitchen studio to use or not?

tracey106, Jul 7, 3:07am
Anyone have views on there kitchens prices and service?

lissie, Jul 7, 3:20am
I've always heard poor reviews and comments about their lack of transparency on pricing so I stay away

woody1946, Jul 7, 3:35am
The ones I know are pretty pushy about their standard product and will try and talk you out of anything that is a bit different,You will end up with void spaces to suit their standard sizes, but I guess that goes for most of the franchise kitchen companies
Best to deal with an independent operator who will design and make what you want

koru67, Jul 7, 4:07am
Aren't Kitchen Studio franchises? so it would depend on the location you are dealing with. We used them many years ago for our kitchen and then a few years later for our laundry. We did not have any problems and no "void" spaces. I would happily get them to quote for our new kitchen.

carter19, Jul 7, 4:16am
If i were to have a new kitchen in my forever home i probably would use them. Its my understanding that they use top quality materials and many of the staff are properly trained in design. Having said that any of my local cabinetmakers would do a great job too. Just need to decide on what quality of cabinetry and fittings you want. Same design in thinner less waterproof materials will cost less

les6, Jul 7, 9:09am
they did ours in 2005 and every thing is still as it was and working well.have seen other peoples that have used other places and have fallen apart by now?I would use them again.

koru67, Jul 7, 9:33am
Same, when we sold our house 10 years after the kitchen was installed it still looked brand new.

hammer23, Jul 7, 11:20am
They use the same materails as the rest of us use,it is the BS we all spin that is the difference. One thing I did like about them was they said your money was held in trust for you ,opposed to so many deposit takers who go under with your cash and you get a to star on fair go.

koru67, Jul 7, 7:29pm
So are you saying I am telling BS that my kitchen still looked like new 10 years later?. Although, we did have thermotek doors so not the same as every one else uses. I am quite sure I can buy a budget kitchen with crap clashing on the door edges and have it yellowing and looking ugly in 10 years time. No different to the rubbish cheap bathroom vanities that are around.

carter19, Jul 7, 7:36pm
Im not sure taht all materials used in all kitchens are the same. I have seen many cheap kitchens made from very thin board, just as i have seen same really thin benchtops that will not withstand kids climbing on them etc. there are differing qualities of materials. Often, not always, they are imported. About 20 years ago, a developer brought in kitchens from China. Within weeks of use the benches, cupboard doors and linings all started delaminating. As they were installledin approx 30 apartments, it was an expensive repair.

lissie, Jul 7, 8:49pm
The obvious issue is that KS at no point on their website actually talks about what specificaton of materials they use - 16mm 18mm? Vinyl covered? It's all just fluff and pretty pictures

woody1946, Jul 8, 1:05am
Kitchens last as long as how they are treated .I am a joiner and built our kitchen 25 years ago. Meltica doors just clashed with tape and its as good as the day it was new, but must mention we have no young kids to wreck things

lissie, Jul 8, 2:05am
Hmm maybe train your kids to understand that a kitchen is not a climbing frame? A kitchen should be fit for purpose - and it's purpose is not to have kids climb on it

pattym1, Nov 28, 1:57pm
They did our kitchen - granite benchtops and units made to our specs. i found them ok to deal with and the kitchen still looks new 5 years down the track