I need help with my shower water temperature

alba86, Jan 23, 5:52am
I don't know what is wrong with my shower. The water pressure is great when the cold water is running. I lift the handle and turn the dial to hot and the water pressure goes weak.
When I am in the shower is it extremely difficult to get the temperature right it is either ice cold or burning hot, seems I only turn the handle the tinyest fraction possible and the water burns me. what is wrong!and what should I do! I know its not the cylinder, must be the dial handle thing inside the shower

trade4us2, Jan 23, 6:15am
The shower mixer is probably the wrong type, i.e. designed for equal pressure from the cold and hot water. You'd need a mixer that can handle high cold pressure and low hot pressure.
However if you take off the cover over the mixer, there is probably a screw for the cold water that can be adjusted to minimise the cold water flow.

alba86, Jan 23, 9:51am
Ye I wouldn't even know how to take the cover off. can you tell I havnt got a decent man in my life haha

lythande1, Jan 23, 6:26pm
Wrong mixer. Most likely a low pressure cylinder paired with mains (high) pressure mixer.

caspar26, Jan 23, 8:44pm
agree. sounds like wrong mixer. What brand of mixer is it and how long has it been there!

trade4us2, Jan 23, 9:35pm
I wish mixer manufacturers would put a stamp on them to show what pressure they are. I bought a new mixer for $2 at a fair and as usual it's the wrong type. However, screwing in the cold screw made it work OK. Been going for 20 years now!
Another bodge is to put a washer with a small hole in it, in the cold water feed.
Otherwise it's a new mixer needed, and the pipes will not connect easily since there appear to be no standards for mixer layout.

elect70, Feb 5, 5:02pm
Get plumber, can put a restrictor in the coldlinetogive betterequal pressure .I had same,