What is your favourite Plum and why ?

Page 1 / 2
.jillybeen., Jan 20, 6:46am
Im looking for the best plum ever.I want one that is a good bearer, good for bottling, and making sause, and above all lovely to eat.

favouriteseller, Jan 20, 6:54am
Black Doris , good size , tastes great and juicy

helianthus, Jan 20, 6:55am
Hawera. The best tasting plum I ever met. We have three trees.

lythande1, Jan 20, 7:41am
Have to say my favourite is Black Doris. dark, loads of flavour, excellent for making things with too.

samanya, Jan 20, 7:48am
I've just planted a Hawera on the recommendation of a nurseryman .so I hope you are right.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 20, 7:51am
Black Doris. Bottled gorgeousness.

goatchickens, Jan 20, 7:57am
Omega.Because they taste like lollies, but are much better for you, and you can bake the most awesome plum cake with them as well!

mybooks, Jan 20, 11:41am
Billington and Omega - both delicious, great colour and flavour.

bev00, Jan 20, 12:31pm
Billington - crops heavily around Christmas time. attractive Japanese style tree. When cooked it has no bitterness and retains its bright red colour. Dark red skin and meaty flesh - lovely to eat raw and stews in its own juice.

gardie, Jan 20, 5:38pm
Luisa - huge fruit, freestone and oh so yum.

goatchickens, Jan 20, 5:50pm
One thing to take into consideration is your springtime weather.If you are prone to late freezes, whether it's in the form of freezing rain or hard frosts, or strong winds which can lash trees and knock off a lot of set fruit, then you may want a late season plum (which is one of the reasons we grow the Omega here, it'snot ready till late Jan/earl Feb).We get such wonky, unpredictable weather that I had to give up on the other varieties.We're in the Canterbury Plains, near the foothills, so get some wild spring weather most years.

player_smurf, Jan 20, 5:54pm
Omega!

jrth420, Jan 21, 3:53am
Has to be Black Doris anyone recomending anything else can't have grown a black Doris plum tree. IMO

hokispca, Jan 21, 4:22am
I don't know the name of them, I just call them 'backyard' plums.the ones that grew in folks gardens a few decades back. Kind of red/ green coloured skin and yellowish flesh.

.jillybeen., Jan 21, 4:53am
I have one here its the size of a small apple, red skin on the outside,with yellow/light red flesh tastes great, probably not so good for cooking though.
love to know what it is.

lythande1, Jan 21, 6:33pm
You need 2 anyway, to pollinate. I have Black Doris and Billington as the second.
Had various before, friend has assorted trees in his huge back yard, but still, Black Doris remains the favourite.
Second favourite would be Satsuma.

breness, Jan 21, 11:03pm
Jillybean. Maybe your plum is a Burbank. They are so yummy.
My choice here was Luisa. Huge fruit, upright growing, fruit from a very early age and holds it's fruit well in the wind. One of these plums is practically a meal. Oh and it's self fertile so no pollinator needed.

helianthus, Jan 22, 2:42am
Then I regret that your opinion is wrong as I have certainly grown Black Doris. I still prefer Hawera. Great to eat off the tree, great to cook, great for jam, great for plum sauce and the most prolific fruiting tree we have - and we have Billingtons, Burbank, Angelina Burdett, Blue Diamond and a few others.

mkbooks, Jan 22, 3:22am
Omega-dark red flesh-great eating, bottles well, good jam, sauce, chutney

diana96, Jan 22, 4:18am
omega, fantastic plums.

summersunnz, Jan 22, 10:00am
Billington is self-fertile - and a good pollinator for Omega plums and others.

febes1, Jan 22, 10:02am
Oh wow there is a Plum called Hawera!
And here I thought the gorgeous plums I enjoyed as a child (growing up in Hawera) were what they all tasted like!
Tho I think they were black doris .so good.
One thing you cannot get in Oz is red/purple flesh plums.they are all yucky yellow fleshed no matter how dark skinned :(

sr2, Jan 22, 10:16am
I'm looking at planting a plum tree (Black Doris of course), I've been told I'll need a "pollinator"to get fruit. Could anyone please enlighten me on what this involves!

elliehen, Jan 22, 10:43am
Whichever plum you choose, make sure you don't plant it too close to the house.We planted an Early Wilson to have as our Christmas plum and it was so prolific that there were plums all over the ground which small children walked indoors!

2young1, Jan 23, 8:09am
each one is a diamond. big luscious juicy and oh so sweet