Can you advise? Plumbing problem re buchan trap

venna2, Jan 7, 5:53am
I sought a plumber for what I hoped was a fairly simple blocked drain problem. He called in this morning, had a look and said he wouldn't charge me as he didn't have the right gear. He got another guy, who came with a sort of camera (you experts will know what I'm talking about) to see where the problem lay. Apparently he'll send a bill - I don't know for how much, but the first guy mentioned $200 for the camera, I think. The drain now seems to be cleared but apparently the buchan trap (which I'd never heard of - I'm so ignorant) should be removed. The first guy has emailed me a quote:

"Description: Drainage
Price is to dig up the old Buchan Trap at rear of house. This has tree roots in it and is causing blockages. We will remove this completely as you no longer need it.
We will backfill hole afterwards, and remove all rubbish. Please note, the Buchan trap is at a depth of approx. 1.75m and so some disturbance to the area around it will occur. We will do our best to make sure it is left neat and tidy afterwards.
Price $2675.00 including GST
Thank you for the opportunity to price for your work."

After the earlier talk about no charge in one instance and a few hundred in the second, this amount shocks me. Is it about what you experts would expect! I don't know whether to just accept it or seek further quotes. I was going to just go along with what I was told this morning, but didn't expect the quote to be anything like this.

Your advice and opinions would be appreciated!

venna2, Jan 7, 6:16am
I've had a further reply from the plumber who quoted:

"Today's work is separate and will be between 5 and 6 hundred.

Today's work was clearing the blockage and then putting a camera down the drain to identify what caused the blockage and the depth.

Under the ground is a Buchan Trap (similar to the "s" traps under your basin except bigger). This was installed initially to stop smells coming from the council sewer, and into your house. They are no longer required or put in. This Buchan Trap has tree roots growing in it and causing things to get blocked up in it.

What we would now be doing is digging down to the Buchan Trap, cutting the section of drain out and replacing it with a straight piece of pipe.
The reason it is so costly, is due to the depth. It is approx 1,75m deep. Due to the depth and location, this will take some time to dig up.

If things all went exactly to plan, and the ground is easy digging and therefore the job goes alot quicker than expected, I would reduce the price. It is just better to give the worst case price and then reduce it if it is easier/quicker than planed, rather than give a lower price and then try explain why it will cost more."

I really would like to know if all this seems reasonable. It is just so much more than I was led to believe.

raven71, Jan 7, 6:19am
x1
My two cents worth: if they really do have to dig that deep, it's not a tivial issue to do so. Once a trench reaches a certain depth, it's required to have shoring to keep the workmen safe. That kind of thing adds to the cost.

Also, they may need to hire a digger to excavate to that depth. Again, $$$

Buchan Trap pros
- The Buchan trap is perfect for catching pesky pests like mice and rats, which means you can finally put an end to that creepy scratching noise in your walls (or is it just your crazy neighbor?).
- You can finally live out your dream of becoming a master chef by catching your own ingredients! Who needs a fancy grocery store when you have a Buchan trap and a few creative recipes?
- It's an environmentally-friendly option for pest control, since you won't have to use any harsh chemicals that could harm other animals or the planet.
- If you're feeling bored, you can always try to set a new world record for the most mice caught in a Buchan trap in one hour. Just make sure to wash your hands after.

Buchan Trap cons
- You might end up with a few unexpected houseguests if you forget to check the Buchan trap regularly. Just think of them as your new roommates!
- The Buchan trap might not be the best choice if you have a weak stomach, since you'll have to deal with the aftermath of your catch (or maybe you can hire someone to do it for you?).
- If you're using the Buchan trap outside, you might accidentally catch your neighbor's pet instead of the pest you were targeting. Awkward.
- You might start to feel like a mad scientist if you spend too much time tinkering with your Buchan trap to try and catch even more pests. Just remember to laugh maniacally to really get into character.

venna2, Jan 22, 5:52pm
Thanks, raven71. My shock comes from the fact that I was told originally that this guy wouldn't charge as he couldn't do the work (I really don't know why, since he is a plumber) and I thought he said the next guy who came would cost around $300 - $400 - and now it's going to be $500 or $600, it seems. And on top of that will be $2675 to get rid of this buchan trap. I sought a plumber through Builderscrack and told the first one he could have the job as it all seemed straightforward. I'd have sought two or three quotes if I'd known it would prove so complicated and expensive. Although I suppose it would have been difficult for people to quote since they couldn't see what was beneath the ground. I feel at a disadvantage because of not knowing anything about drain laying, and don't know if I'm being ripped off or not.