Garden redesign

a.t.v.ace, Jan 6, 6:50am
I've been given the go ahead to replace all plants and trees in my garden.Not sure what I want yet but i'd like to add plants that attract the many Tuis, Wood pigeons and fantails we have in the area.Does anyone have any low maintenance suggestions!

soph001, Jan 6, 7:08am
OOh, I have no help for you really, but I am doing a whole new layout too.
It's very exciting, but hard to decide what to do.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 6, 7:38am
sounds like you want to go for a native garden.If you stick to natives, they'll always work well together.Things like flaxes and kowhai attract the tuis.Wood pigeons are a bit harder, they generally like puriri, although I've seen them in the kowhai trees as well.

macandrosie, Jan 14, 8:10am
I have a tui in my garden every year & it seems to like a very large eucalyptus to perch in. If your'e in town you'd want a smaller variety, but natves sound the way to go & anything that provides food for them.

milkybar4, Jan 14, 7:33pm
google on the net trees to attract birds and native birds. heaps of sites come up. it's really quite interesting. i watched maggies garden show a while ago and this guy in kapitihas a "bird garden" full of all these bird attracting trees and it looks and sounds awesome. also flaxes and others attract the wax eyes and if you're in the area - bell birds.

luteba, Jan 15, 12:53am
Our neighbour has a bottlebrush (Australian, red flowers) and the Tuis go crazy for it, so it doesn't have to be natives only unless you want it to be.

wratha, Jan 27, 12:55am
The tuis and bellbirds here go crazy for flax flowers, ornamental cherry trees, bottlebrush and kniphofia (red hot pokers). The woodpigeons seem to like camping out in larger trees regardless of type but do love our plum trees (in 8 years I've beaten the birds to a total of 5 plums, greedy things), they eat quite a lot of blossom and I guess they eat the fruit too. Fantails eat insects so you need the sort of things that attract wee bugs (our compost heap seems to do best there), they also eat the aphids on the roses.

dibble35, Jan 27, 4:48am
Try this website out, google alter-natives nursery, and under plant catalogue, and use/requirements click on 'atttract birds'. It should give you a list of plants with photos that will be suitable.
And P.S. I 2nd the ornamental cherrytrees, the tuis love them

guest, May 19, 8:18pm
Dear Damaris, It was nice to hear about you from blog about your desires to be asroantut candidate for NASA, here , i am a young research scholar doin phd in smart nano medical devices for asroantut for their medication and diagnosis.i too coming from struggling background , where i was just like non supported by any one , but i could developed my self with my own enthusiasm and courage and confidence about my concrete success.i wanted to share the achievements and struggle did behind that ,kindly send me if you have any personal contact /office number. if you have some specific querry on aerospace engineering ,you can ask and feel free ,i would be happy to share the knowledge with you. i am sure you are the winner of the future with a unique successbest of luck. sincerelykrunal chopra(phd student)