Walk in Shower on a Concrete Floor

Page 2 / 2
stevo2, Oct 22, 6:11am
True but I normally use villaboard. 6mm for lightweight tiles or 9mm for heavier, then have the whole lot waterproofed with antifracture membrane before tiling

newtec1, Oct 22, 6:36am
Sure,nothing wrong with villa board if you can afford it. Mainly used on comercial installations.The only problem with villa bd is the paint finish compared to gib paint finish above the tiles if the tiles don't go to ceiling height.But as a strong base for tiles,yes it is the best.

stevo2, Oct 22, 7:12am
I liked your posts up until the point where you only waterproof 100mm up the walls. They should be waterproofed to 1.800mt.

newtec1, Oct 22, 8:08am
I didn't realise i was sitting my advanced shower instalation competence degree.But in reply it is not necesary to proof to the full height,especially with aqualine of vila board.

stevo2, Oct 22, 5:11pm
Sorry but it is necessary to waterproof to 1.8mt. The water will seep right through the tiles and grout and penetrate your lining, doesnt matter whether its gib aqua or villaboard. They are not waterproof.

newtec1, Oct 23, 6:35am
You don't need to be sorry,you are correct.My mind was on another bathroom we have just finished.I was thinking of the bathroom,not the shower.Yes full height proof,especially with tiles.

eddienz, Oct 23, 7:55am
Wrong.
you dont glue gib when tileing.
Fasteners
??? For 10mm GIB Aqualine® use minimum 25mm x 6g GIB® Grabber® Drywall Screws
??? For 13mm GIB Aqualine® use minimum 32mm x 6g GIB® Grabber® Drywall Screws.
Fastener Centres
??? GIB® Grabber® Drywall Screws at 100mm centres to perimeter of wall and to all intermediate studs
??? Adhesive is not to be used in place of mechanical fastenings.

hsvchix, Oct 23, 9:01pm
Thankyou for that advise we will make sure we use the aqua gib board to make sure it is all waterproof we would like to get the proffesionals in but it would cost too much

hsvchix, Oct 23, 9:08pm
Thank you for your advise that's what I was hopeing to hear I'd like to put the ground shower in for those very reasons just thinking long term as we age I'd like to know we will have easy access to the shower our son had an operation not long ago and we found it difficult to shower him in our standard shower Thankyou for That its just what I needed to Hear.

hsvchix, Oct 23, 9:11pm
Thank you for the your help We didnt now know its necessary to waterproof to 1.8mt that advise has been really Helpful Thankyou

hsvchix, Oct 23, 9:15pm
Your advise has been So Helpful to Us You have made the whole job alot easier for Us Thankyou again newtec1

redandblack2, Oct 24, 3:30am
You need to waterproof 300mm above the shower head outlet height.Dont use Aqualine Gib as it is proabably the most over hyped product on the market. Go and talk to Warmup Wetrooms in Auckland, they do the level entry showers and all of the waterproofing. they use a wallling called Marmox which is 100% waterproof. Costs more but worth it in a shower

newtec1, Oct 24, 5:21am
No problem.If you find it usefull i am more than happy,You can't always rely on some advice,in fact the more you get sometimes the worse the problem can be,but if you understood what we advised all the better.Cheers.

newtec1, Oct 26, 6:10am
Well done.straight out of the little white manual re: building code for shower instalations ,edition # 6.next month it will be revised to confuse you even more.edition #7