Can you put ensuite on existing concrete floor?

via356, Jun 16, 8:27pm
We have an attached garage as the only house area we can extend into for extra living space/bedrooms. So the existing floor is concrete poured over a thick plastic sheet of some sort. Is it possible to install a floor-level ensuite with a wet-floor shower into such a space? If so, how would it be plumbed? Or would it need to be stepped up to allow for pipes underneath? Through one side of the garage is a small crawlspace under the house. I'm guessing it might be easiest to situate the ensuite on this side if we were able to progress with this?

budgel, Jun 16, 9:16pm
It is possible to do what you want but it would entail cutting and removing some of the concrete, and then re-forming the shower base area.

It would be best situated backing onto the wall that is nearest the drains that it would connect to. The plumbing can come through the wall framing (if you have timber walls).

You will need to consult a builder to properly scope the work, he will have a plumber and electrician he works with; and you should get a flooring guy in to quote for the vinyl or whatever floor covering you plan on using.
If it is DIY, you will need to co-ordinate these trades.

To do it legally a consent will be required, which means the services of a draftsman will be needed for the plans.

Have your chequebook ready!

Good Luck.

bluefrog2, Jun 16, 11:14pm
My neighbour did something like this in her garage, and it was below the level of the existing waste pipes for the house. It involved putting in a waste sump/tank and a pump to pump stuff up to the level of existing waste pipes.
You definitely need consent for this!

ceebee2, Jun 16, 11:21pm
A tiler could provide a "build" to accommodate any fall required and simply use a tile covered nib wall, no concrete cutting required.

cagivachick1, Jun 17, 5:36am
depends on the amount of fall on the drain also the room for a Sbend

blueviking, Jun 17, 7:50pm
You can get a special shower waste that you can sit on the floor and then you plaster the floor to get a fall to the waste. Normally between 70-90mm of plaster so you have this as a step into the shower. I do the floors. I do about 5 a year as they do up a retirement village.

neillo1, Jun 17, 10:59pm
We had same thing with a concrete floor so they built a wooden frame to put shower base on to create the drop and it's about a 20cm step-up into the shower.

via356, Dec 12, 1:53pm
Thanks people.