Can someone tell me what this plant is?

shane777, Oct 4, 3:53pm
We have a huge kind of Yucca/Agave/Flax thing growing real well. Suddenly it became very droopy and a stem came out of the middle. It looks a bit like a giant asparagus and is currently 7 meters tall and is still growing by the day.
Can anyone tell me what it might be. I have photos but don't know how to upload them to here.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 4, 4:24pm
Go to yout My Trade Me page, click on photos and follow the instructions to upload. Then open your photo, and c& p the url or address.

Sounds like your yakky ( sorry, a bit of bias showing there) is in reproduction mode. The stem will flower, and if left alone will produce multitudes of the 'orrible baby things in order to infest the neighbourhood in their campaign to over take the take world and achieve botanical domination. Kill it now, and buy yourself a nice well mannered native.

😁

lyl_guy, Oct 4, 4:27pm
Possibly agave - the flowers can be massive eg.
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/agave-flower-25-years-blooming

shane777, Oct 5, 12:13pm

samanya, Oct 5, 12:35pm
It looks a lot like a cabbage tree to me.

zak410, Oct 5, 12:39pm
Agree with agave, you will have 100s of 'pups' falling from it too.

rainrain1, Oct 5, 1:27pm
Not a cabbage tree

shane777, Oct 5, 4:56pm
Where do the pups come from, will the main plant die? I have put up a couple of photos, do we just leave it to do its thing at present? Will the stalk things flower or anything?

zak410, Oct 5, 5:59pm
You can see the pups in your first picture, they are the 'foliage looking part' of the giant 'asparagus', they are the 'flowers'.
Our one didn't die after flowering, but became two from its base as well as dropping many pups.

lythande1, Sep 23, 5:09pm
My mum had one of them. It was small for ages, then took off then grew the giant "flower". It took 2 guys and a chainsaw to get it out.