Hydrangea Question

bilou2, Mar 23, 12:58am
I have some I bought as white ones and the first few flowers were pure beautiful white and all the recent ones are greeny/red and no white at all.What has happened and if I prune them do you think they will be white next season!Thanks

kiwicarm, Mar 23, 3:18pm
To keep white really white they need to be planted in the shade.

bilou2, Mar 24, 2:35am
They are in the shade under some trees and have gardenias behind them.Maybe I will have to go to the garden centre to find out.Thanks

ngacooky, Mar 24, 7:43am
I was toldthat the colour of the flower all depends on the type of soil they are planted in.

murfee, Mar 24, 6:21pm
II have a white and red theme in my garden - planted two beautiful white hydrangeas and both have turned pink! They are now in my 'funeral garden". Both very healthy plants. If anyone wants them for cost of postage or free if picked up email me on msadaw@gmail.com.

nicole1011, Dec 28, 9:24am
We inherited a hydrangea when we moved to our property. I always thought it was the variety that doesn't completely flower, a bit like this one: http://woodleighgardens.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/blaumeise-cimg61011.jpg (although with a few more flowers around the outside).

The neighbour recently told me that it wasn't always like that and did used to "normally" flower like a bulb, so why is it doing this and is there a way to get it back to normally flower! Have googled but can't see an answer anywhere, fertilising seems to refer to colour but I couldn't see anything about this problem.

sonja2, Dec 28, 10:58am
I have a row of them all along the driveway, now about 17 years old. In the past couple of years half the row has changed from the mop type head to the one you have described, which, as I understand it, was the original hydrangea.
I have no idea how to change it back, or why it changed,although like you I tried to find out more about it last year- but am telling you all this so you know you are not the only gardener with reverting hydrangeas lol.

wendalls, Dec 28, 7:51pm
Oh bugger. Mine is going the same way also inherited recently. Also mine is white with a few tinges of blue. Does that mean it is actually blue if i adjust the soil ph! I managed to find a few heads to put in a vase but the rest were mottly.

arabelle, Dec 28, 7:55pm
I have that at times Ive blammed lack of water etc. they seem to decide what to do, the other thought is has it been cold at night, in your area, temp seems to play a part.
I recently purchased some white ones to be decoration for a wedding but the flowers [that were on it] are now turning pink. its just in potting mix but does get watered with bore water. oh dear.
Dont know whether to chop them off and hope new flowers come and bloom in 4wks time or save the 'new' colour. and I thought that hydrangeas were for simple gardening folk like me

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 28, 8:58pm
The older flowers on a white will colour slightly, mine get a pink tinge as they age - it's in a pot with neutral mix so soil and watering have nothing to do with it. As for the ones reverting - are you pruning back hard in early winter, to double buds low down!Because if you aren't I suggest a really brutal haircut may be in order, as well as a good mulch and feed. If the plants are old established ones it is quite possible they are low on essential minerals and need a good solid boost. The haircut may mean fewer flowers next summer, but if you then start a pruning maintenance routine the canes should replenish the plant with new flowering growth.

Or, you could haul the plant out and replace. There are an incredible range of new hybrids available these days, eye poppingly beautiful, and so cheap.

nicole1011, Dec 28, 9:12pm
Oh yes hunni, I forgot to mention that, it gets a big haircut every year when the roses get done. Have had it 5 years now, so definately well established. Am glad I'm not the only one though, it looks alot less pretty than the full mops. Maybe replacing isn't such a bad idea.

sonja2, Dec 28, 9:31pm
I am getting used to the lace caps now-for some reason I think that is what they are called! How is this for weird though-the reverted hydrangeas have a brilliant dusky blue, almost purple color to them, while the mop top jobs closest to them have flowered a very pale blue, and 4 plants away, return to the normal blue colour. Before they turned, a couple of years ago, they were all a brilliant blue. They had thee major haircut every year, in fact itstwo day job to deal to them all. The paddock beside them is limed so I have always treated them to a handful of aluminum sulphate each.so I dont know lol.

harrislucinda, Oct 21, 3:14am
thebeescanchangethetheflowersaswell
but tochangethecolouritislimeforpinkandacidforblue