O wise ones : Plant/tree ID please

funkydunky, Jan 10, 11:18am
These are border trees at my property. They were also border trees at my family home when growing up. They have a very spicy aroma when cut. The wood dries to serious hardwood and is great to burn and fragrant. I know someone here knows what they are please. They look a bit like olives.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1466350424.jpg

jan2242, Jan 10, 11:36am
Looks like Olive to me.

mechnificent, Jan 10, 11:49am

mechnificent, Jan 10, 11:51am
Or some sort of eucalyptus perhaps.

harm_less, Jan 10, 11:55am
Phebalium? Older hedge/shelter variety and your description matches too.

funkydunky, Jan 10, 11:58am
Yes they are very similar but I am convinced that it is not an olive. I have large olive trees as well and I have compared foliage, Olive leafs are flatter & fleshier with visible veins, Pus the smell is totally wrong

funkydunky, Jan 10, 12:08pm
I think you have nailed ! Thanks for solving my 50 year old question.
Phebalium Squameum is what i am pretty sure i gotz.

maclad, Jan 10, 12:26pm
Agree Pheballium

lakeview3, Jan 10, 12:36pm
yes this is it. I should know it was my job as a kid to prune a whole hedge of it. Stinky stuff that used to set off other family members allergies.

I however never suffered the allergy thing!

maclad, Jan 10, 5:18pm
Well you were the lucky one then, I guess. LOL

lakeview3, Jan 10, 5:44pm
I reckon! That’s why I ended up with ‘that job’ lol. I also had to prune the copper beech which involved climbing up through the branches that had grafted into each other and pruning from the top down, so it was like a giant topiary! OMG! And then I had to cut the ‘sticks’ down and put neatly into boxes for starting the fire. Another job of mine was doing the edges, so - you guessed it - I am now some kind of topiary/hedge/straight edge freak! Lol 😂

shanreagh, Aug 26, 1:59pm
Well that's good, far better to have that than you joining the

'i'm growing another car/s on my front lawn and I'm conducting an experiment to see how high grass grows ' crowd.