Little Garden Madness

lythande1, Oct 2, 4:17pm

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 2, 5:29pm
Add peat pots, compost seed raising capsules, little label, cupful of fun.

Nah, it's a fair price.

cleo444, Oct 2, 5:32pm
Absolute ridiculousness I agree

eljayv, Oct 3, 8:33am
It is a crazy way to go about it but but getting children interested in growing their own food is a positive I think. just find a less costly way.

amasser, Oct 3, 9:24am
All businesses, such as supermarkets, like to decrease their profits by giving 'free' stuff.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 3, 9:29am
Hang on. these are supermarket giveaways. It takes a big investment in the weekly shop to acquire a full set. So far I have only managed one, lol.

Why shouldn't someone who managed that do their best to get a good price if they want to pass those on?

nicc4, Oct 3, 9:46am
There was a pic doing the rounds on social media a few days ago (I cant find now) where a kid says to his mum that his tomato plant had come up. But in fact it was a cannabis seedling.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 3, 12:06pm
If that was true, more of us might be shopping New World, lol.

venna2, Oct 3, 12:49pm
I shop at New World as I can walk there, but I don't bother about these 'little garden' things when they offer them to me. Even my 11 year old granddaughter doesn't want them now. I'd rather buy trays of seedlings!

In fact, I did accept one the first time I was offered - it turned out to be lettuce seeds, but I'd planted lettuce seedlings a day or two earlier - much more likely to grow and thrive.

girlgeorgina, Oct 3, 1:47pm
our store has a bin at the front where you can donate your unwanted gardens to local schools.

venna2, Oct 3, 4:10pm
Thanks, I'll see if my local one does. That's if local schools want them, of course. They may prefer to garden the old fashioned way.

strathview, Oct 3, 4:33pm
My little garden seeds are doing very well. I just separate the seeds and plant only one seed in the little pot and put the other seeds into seed trays. Currently my spring onions, lettuce and capsicums are doing very nicely. Last time I grew them I got quite a nice crop.

amph981, Oct 4, 2:06pm
I shop New World anyway and accept the little grow pots, why not, I am not bothered what I get, grow what I want and give most to my son and D in L to grow, a bit of fun to see how they do and eat what grows. Don't have room for vege garden, so what I grow has to go in a pot in the yard anyway.

mamad, Oct 4, 2:24pm
I also shop at NW anyway, and love getting the little gardens. Last time the plants I had did really well, and we enjoyed eating the veges. I like watching their progress while the seedlings are inside (I'm still a child at heart), and the vege plants they grow into are satisfying to eat, as we grew them ourselves. Any I don't want I pass on to other people to enjoy.

lythande1, Sep 23, 7:15pm
No, sorry. A "set", and? It comes with a bunch of stuff most kids wouldn't eat if you stuck it on their plate and told them it was their last ever meal.
Better to DIY and stick with things they actually care about.