Removing glass splash back from kitchen

borolad, Nov 22, 6:38pm
We are looking at renovating kitchen and swapping splash back for tiles. Is there any tips on removing slash back without wrecking gibboard. Not too bothered about damaging splashback. Was installed using glue.

lilyfield, Nov 22, 9:35pm
Doubt there is a way without damaging the gib, what about glueing the tiles over it?

trade4us2, Nov 23, 11:11pm
I have tiles that I was going to use as a splashback. I thought I might glue them to a wooden panel that I would screw on to the wall, rather than glue to Gib board.

martin11, Nov 24, 6:53am
Whats the problem not doing a proper job and glue them to the gib . Its easy to repair if the gib gets damages removing anything .

gabbysnana, Nov 24, 12:47pm
there is a solvent you use. Contact the manufacturer. Here we are spending heaps to get modern glass splash backs , easy to clean, for dingy tiles and porous grout that traps grease. Lol.

gpg58, Nov 24, 1:06pm
+1
would not go back to tiles myself, love my mirror ones(full size 1 piece mirrors), so much light.

oldfrt, Nov 24, 2:53pm
Hi there is away to remove your splash back . You will have to be careful I have removed many mirrors over my life time as a builder. Remove the extractor fan or cupboard ,Get some wooden wedges about 150mm long with a 20mm taper . Place wedges about 200mm apart at top of splash back . DO NOT force. Now get a hand saw ( panel saw ) place saw between splash back and gib and slowly cut the glue ( do not touch the wedges ) let them fall on their own. It is a slow job . just work your way around as you go cheers

borolad, Nov 24, 4:08pm
Oldftr , that sounds like a good idea, will try , many thanks

trade4us2, Nov 24, 5:20pm
Which is why I propose just screwing the splash back to the wall, then it is easily unscrewed. I would put a wooden moulding around it.

joanie32, Nov 24, 7:57pm
I cut the gib out and left the tiles attached to it.
Then re gibbed and made glass splash back 30mm bigger, so no finishing required.
Quick, cheap and easy.

wine-o-clock, Sep 7, 2:56pm
screw? Mine is glued safety glass